Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Simple wiring... not so simple trace: cornering light

letterman7

Corvette
1982 Collectors Edition
Hi All,
Just purchased an '82 Collector's Edition and am starting to go through the car little by little as it sat neglected for a number of years. Overall everything seems pretty good, though the wiring seems to be a little haphazard. Nothing was added to the car as far as I can tell, but little stuff doesn't work, like the power antenna, one of the seat motors and my driver's side cornering light. Starting basic, checked all the fuses (and found a 30A that had blown, but was related to the rear window defog) but nothing else out of the ordinary. At this point I don't care about the seat motor or the antenna, but I want the lights to work correctly. I checked the bulb, and yes, it was blown, so it was replaced. And nothing. Checked the socket itself and while it doesn't look worn, I'm apparently not getting power to the socket somewhere.
Reading through the shop manual (first thing I bought even before I had the car) I see that there is a brown from the headlight switch and an orange from the turn signal stalk... is there a relay in there somewhere as well? Nothing is in the manual that reflects that but I've learned not to assume too much with GM. The wires going into the harmonica connector seem tight, so I'm not quite sure what or where to test next. And I'm loathe to tear the steering column apart to replace the switch if that's the culprit, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Rick

Hi Rick. Congratulations on picking up the 82. I would check to see if you have power both on the parking light side and the direction light side of the light socket. Use a test lamp and run one end to a good ground then turn on the parking light and then the directional. If the both work you have a ground wire problem at the socket. I forget where the ground connection to the chassis, but most likely it needs cleaning and tighting. A lot of electrical problems on Corvettes are ground related. Let us know the results and we can go from there.

I'll have to check that later today or tonight. I know both the running light and turn signals work, so it may be a ground to the cornering light. I didn't see a third wire coming to the socket, hence my confusion on how the power actually flows to and from the steering column to the socket itself.

Ok, got a little garage time in tonight.. pulled the socket back out, and re-checked the bulb connections. Everything seemed ok, so I started the car and hit the headlights and the turn signal... and the cornering light lit! Hmm... while putting the socket back into place with everything still running, the light flickered ever so slightly.. tugged gently at the wires and the bulb flickered again. Ah-ha.. maybe that socket isn't as good as it looks. A new replacement is now on the way! Little by little I'll get this grand lady back on the road... though I might have to call it "Christine".. :)

I am glad that one seems to be behind you. They all have some Christine in them!!!

Welcome to CAC
Enjoy!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom