Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Simplest , strong Corvette engine and auto trans for C1 conversion w/C4 suspension.??

Stan's Customs

Corvette
Project 1961....
I've always liked the old 700R4 trans...but I haven't had the later corvette transmissions. Don't really know what 84 up engine would be an easy install, with the most power for the dollar... What years were considered prime choices...? Money is an object...so a 2006 isn't a consideration, but there is adequate budget for anything sane.

Reason...I'm thinking about buying a complete doner vette for a C1 conversion...that way I can use the engine , trans, suspension and all...and maybe get a Dawson frame or SrIII. That's a big step for this old school 4 link and 9" Ford guy...so I need a little direction. Any opinions appreciated...Which single model would be the best choice for all the above.

Thanks...

~Stan...

Stan,
I think that a LS1 and 4l60E trans is the best choice, with a LT1 and 700R4 being second choice. Billy Dawson has built a lot of LT1 cars, but after a couple of LS1 drivetrains, I think he is sold on The LS engine. For a car like this, I am sold on modern computer-controlled engines. They start instantly in any weather and put out enough power to scare the poop out of you in a car like the C1/C4.
I bought a wrecking yard LS1 drivetrain for My 59 for $4000, which included the trans, harness, and PCM. It has way more power than I can manage to put to the ground with the 245 tires which will fit under the stock wheelwells, but it sure is a blast to drive! Lots of power, easy starting, good fuel economy, and really dependable drivetrain, what more could you ask for!
I bought the SRIII chassis, but Billy builds a nice chassis, and is a real nice guy. I am currently building another SRIII chassis with a midyear body and a LS2 drivetrain out of a 0 mile 2005.

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks for the reply John..

What was the first year of the LS1/4160E if you know right of hand. Curious about the HP too..that is a C5 isn't it?

I'm correct in assuming that all C4 suspensions have 16 inch wheels, arn't I. If so can 15's be mounted on them ?

Stan..

Stan,
The Ls1 was used in all Corvettes since 97, and in all Camaros and Firebirds since 97 as well. The Corvettes used a rear-mounted transmission, while the F-body cars used a conventional arangement with the trans bolted to the engine. The LS1 comes in several horsepower versions from 330 to about 380 depending on car and year. It was also available in the 2004 GTO. The best source of a LS1 is probably a low mileage F-body or 04 GTO, but Vette engines are fine as well, but you will need to find a trans. The LS6 engine stepped up to 405 hp and the new LS2 is also at 400 hp. by the time you remove the emissions stuff, you can increase those numbers a bit.
Ah, the issue of wheels.....
The stock C4 brakes will not work with 15" wheels, and the offset necessary to use the C4 suspension, really limits your choice of wheels. Most guys are using a stock 17" X 8.5" C5 Corvette front wheel on all 4 corners. This is the largest wheel that will fit under the stock wheelwells and almost any deviation from the stock wheel offset will cause clearance problems.
This yeilds a wheel that has almost no lip of the front edge of the wheel, and a lot of guys find this look objectional, and want a more vintage look, but I know of no option at this time to give that vintage look. Here is a view of my wheels so you can see what I am talking about. Any attempt to put any sort of dish in the wheels will move the tires out and into the fenders.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/339303/P0001363.jpg

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks for the run down John..

I 've been looking for a summary like that, but all I've found was information per individual year...which takes a while to get the picture together.

Hmm.I thought maybe the rotors could be changed out..but that still would leave the width problem wouldn't it. We (wife and I) both grew up in the sixties and still like the older styles...We both had muscle cars even before we knew each other. Just the kind of woman every mechanic needs..ha!

Wonder what would be a first class way to get a good ride and handling with the noastalga appearance too. I still can't seem to getaway from the kits like Jim Meyer etc. Do you know of any better way..?

By the way I have really admired your cars and workmanship for a long time..they are stunning, and the quality and detail is superb. WE had just envisioned the other style and are slow to change...one of us is anyway, if you follow my meaning..heh heh.

I just finished a year and a half long Motorhome refurb and now it's time to get back to the vette. I just can't come up with a plan that really does the project justice, and still look nostalgic....with newer technology. So I've been stalling I guess...

Stan

Stan:

When we built my wife's 62 frame conversion car she did not want to put "modern" wheels on the car either. We ended up with 17" x 7" chrome "smoothies" with Moon style hubcaps. Perhaps not the look you are after but here is a link to some pictures: http://www.carols62.com/aug02.html

I'm working on a '59 now and I am using one of Billy Dawson's frames. Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.carols62.com/59/ If you look at the December, 2004 pictures you will see my (as yet unfinished) soultion to the nostalgia wheel problem.

Charles

Stan having built a 62 with a SR111 frame,if I had to do it all over i would not use the 700R4 trans. I am having troubles controlling the way it shifts. It may be a simple fix with the trans builder but i havent had the time to have him look at it.

Originally I thought the Kick down cable was just that a kick down cable. John McGraw educated me that the cable actually controls the shift points on the car.

No matter how much I adjust the cable I am eather short shifting the car around 1800 rpms or its shifting real hard at about 4500 twisting the rear end out. Its bad enought on dry ground but if its a little slick or your in a sweeping turn it makes for a dangerous ride.

My poor wife has allready spun the car around with my daughter in it.

Thanks Charles ....

Very interesting , and innovating....I think that may work quite well. I had even thought of trying to find a wheel that stock wheel covers would fit against a second lip maybe and have a center nut. But this will work better I bet...

The Dawson frame looks real nice...congrats on the fine work. Nice shop too...now that's the way to start a project...heh heh!

Thanks to you too IH2...I haven't had that problem on other projects....Hmmm? Maybe a transmission shop would have the answer...

Thanks to all..
Stan M.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom