Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Six speed trany

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I have a TH350 trany in my '80 vette. If I converted to a manual trany which six speed would I want to buy and how much do they cost and where does one find them? Are there any used ones out there? Wouldn't the six speed be the way to go vs a four speed? I am sure you'd get a lower first and a much higher last gear in a six vs a four. Any advice on this?

Like Rowdy says go with a Tremec!
Here's another company who seles them.

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/corvette_68-82_6sp_auto.asp#kit_contents

Be sure to order a kit where everything is included. Look into the gear ratio's. The 4th gear is always the 1:1 gear (except for the Richmond 6, there the 5th is 1:1 as far as I know) You want an overdrive (5th) gear but the 6th is a very large overdrive. If you drive within the max speedlimits I doubt if you would need a 6th gear.

I installed a GM T56 Viper 6 speed tranny into my 68 BB vert.
This does require some mods to the car. Had to cut the crossmember and move it back a couple of " because the T56 is very long.
Also the tunnel shifter outlet must be recut. After installing the center console, the shifter exists in the original position, so no modification visible from there.
I have a 3.70 rear end and dricing with 80 MPH gives me just about 2000 RPM in 6th.
Yes, a TKO500 or TKO600 5 speed is realy enough , but not as cool.
KEISLER presenlty offers used Viper T56th in their kit.
This tranny keeps the original manual clutch fork and housing . No hydraulic clutch needs to be installed versus ordinary T56 out of other cars.
This pic shows the size difference from M21 to T56.
T56_versus_M21-1.jpg

Hmm, can't attach pics from the CORVETTEFORUM.COM server ?

I used a viper also for my 69.when I did mine Keisler had suspend sales because they quit offering rebuilt vpier trannies,

The web site below shows step by step instillation of the TKO-500 into a 1977 with a TH350. I would highly recommend ordering at the time you order the kit of choice to also order the eccentric dowel pins just incase you cannot dial in the engine crank shaft to the opening of the bell housing. This is the most critical procedure of the job, imo.
http://corvettec3.ca/tko.htm
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom