Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sleeve for the trans yoke?

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
I'm starting a rebuild of my M20 Muncie and have found that the outer diameter of the splined trans yoke has a lot of wear. Obviously if I put it back like this it's just going to leak oil again, so I'm wondering if it's possible to sleeve the shaft - (Redi-Seal?)

The alternative is to spend $150 on a new yoke, but I'm not that eager to part with my $$ !

J

I went throught the same thing with mine and the local Vette shop up here had a nice (very nice) used one for $90.....we looked at welding a ring around the old one where it had worn and then grinding and polishing but thats a lot of work...Someone on here knows about the sleeves, they told me about them but I forget.....do a search for my post on this same subject and it should come up...or Ill give you the phone number of the Corvette shop here in town and Tim can hook you up.......replace it while you have the D/S out cause I didnt and it leaked and then I had to take out the D/S again....to replace it....:beer

I do not know how the sleeve would work if the worn area is real deep and it leaves a void under the sleeve. I imagine there is a lot of strain in that area . they use sleeves on harmonic balancers but it is for sealing only not support and does not ride in a bushing .welding the area and someone handy with a lathe would probably be the best bet if you have friends with those talents Steve

By wear you mean a groove or something?

More like a series of grooves over a length of nearly 2".

I found 2 companies who make sleeves - speedi-sleeve from SKF and microsleeve (http://www.microsleeve.com/) in TX - but I'm coming round to agreeing with bradford: as the yoke slides in a bushing a sleeve may not make any sense.

Thanks for the comments guys.

J

They also say new ones are on the endangered list at least the ones that have a strap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom