Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Slight hesitation, dirty injectors?

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
I have a little bit of hesitation when I let the clutch out in first gear. Along with that just a touch of a rough idle. I am going to put some fuel injector cleaner in the next tank of fresh gas.

Is it better to add a full bottle to say half a tank of gas instead of a full tank? A full tank of gas will take 6 weeks for me to use up.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this, but I would make sure that you only use a detergent based fuel injector cleaner and not an alcohol based one.

The two primary detergent based cleaners that I'm aware of are Chevron Techron and Red Line's Fuel Injector Cleaner.

The problem with non-detergent based fuel injector cleaners is that they can gradually eat away at the rubber/plastic components of the injectors as well as the terne coating within the fuel cell. As this coating breaks down, it can gradually foul O2 sensors and other vital components downstream.

Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

I had almost exactly the same symptoms with my LT4, and the dealer just told me it was the water pump drooling on the opti.

Fuel filter was replaced last summer, less than 1000 miles ago.

Paul,
Start with the basics. Clean inside the throttle body bore and the back of the throttle plate. Carb spray and a tooth brush will get the job done. DON'T USE ANYTHING STIFFER THAN A TOOTH BRUSH! There is a teflon coating on most stock throttle bodies that can be damaged if you do. Check all vaccum line for leaks. When was the last tune-up? Plugs, wires and air filter could cause problems.

Steve

You really shouldn't even need a brush unless for some reason there is an extreme amount of build-up that is difficult to remove. A soft cloth will do the job just as well when sprayed with a little cleaner. Just wipe it in the throttle plate bores by wrapping the cloth around your finger while you hold them open with the other hand.

_ken

Last summer a complete tune up was done. New cap, rotor, coil, wires, fuel filter, PCV, removed the TB and cleaned inside and out, cleaned IAC pintle and seat. The plugs were fairly new so they were not replaced. Reset the TPS and adjusted idle. All this made a world of improvement.

There is just this slightly rough idle, and a bit of hesitation when the clutch comes out. I may be a little too picky looking for perfection here. I hope putting a rich mix of injection cleaner through may clean out the injectors. I dont want to damage anything in the process.

Maybe I'll try a new set of rapid fires also. This is leading to another post.

Fuel injectors

Paul, if the injector cleaner does not work out RC-Engineering will clean, flow test, and balance your injectors so they all flow the same for 24.00 each. You can check out their services at www.rceng.com Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom