Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Slow cranking when hot

bb2kksy

Corvette
1979 Dark Blue T-Top
79 starts easy when cold, turns over fast. After it is driven for a while if I shut it off, 10-15 min, when I go for a restart it cranks very slooowly. Is it possibly heat related or is it time fopr a new starter, baattery good.

79 starts easy when cold, turns over fast. After it is driven for a while if I shut it off, 10-15 min, when I go for a restart it cranks very slooowly. Is it possibly heat related or is it time fopr a new starter, baattery good.

I had the same problem when I first got my car in April. When I would first start the car in the morning it cranked all right and run real good. Then if I shut it off I would need to let it sit and cool down for 15-20 mins before I could get it to start again. Have your battery checked it sounds like it may be a bad cell or two. I put in a new battery and that was the solution. I hope your fix is as easy.

It's been my experience that it is usually the starter.

Most auto parts stores like Advance Auto will do a functional test of starter, battery, and alternator for free.

Its heat soak into the starter , either shield the starter or use a remote relay like ford does.
Check you arent getting a lot more resistance in the power cables to the starter due to the heat and tighten all connections. Check your grounds.
Another option is to use one of the aftermarket high torque starters.

Yep. My '74 used to do it. Make sure the stock heat sheilds are in place for the starter. You can also purchase a stiffer spring for the solenoid.

:)
I took the disconnect switch apart ( on the battery ) It was corroded, dirty. Cleaned it up , both surfaces, used NOOX, seems to have fixed my problem. Tester with a hard 4 hour run, then a 10 min pitstop, started right up.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom