Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Slow Power Windows

THORIN

Corvette
1976 coupe
I have a 1976 with power windows. They work well going down. When the day is warm they work okay going up. On cold days they need help going up. I have cleaned and relubed the parts; but it doesn't help. Is there a way to adjust the spring tension, (safely) to help them go up faster. Thanks for any help. Also how can I get to the mirrors to tighten them?

There is no way to adjust the spring tension. It is possibly just a failure of the electric motors or more remotely poor contact at the switch. You can remove the mirrors and will see the torx screws have stripped probably. you may have to rethread to a different thread size. I have done this with success. It was no quick job and you will need a bottoming tap for the one blind hole. (window must be lowered and loosened to access the two retaining nuts and then removed from the door)

Well, that is a bit of a disapointment, but thank you for the advice. Sounds like everything else. Nothing can be easy.

When you cleaned and relubed, did you also include ALL the tracks the windows and rollers ride up and down in?
I had the same problem with my 68 power windows; took entire window assemblies out of the doors and cleaned everything. Reinstalled and lubed and now the windows fly up and down like new. I also took the gears in the motor apart and removed the old hardened grease. The only cost was my time and a little fresh grease and now both driver and passenger windows work like new.
Kurt

I have the same problem, right window goes up and down like new. Left windows is very slow, if moving at all. Try to loosen up the inboard guides a little, but I think testing with a new motor would be the best thing to do. If you checked, relubed and geased everything like I did.

Greetings Peter

I must admit that I paid someone to do it. It sounds like a good winter project. I have little or no mechanical abilitie or knowledge. So it sounds like I will have to go slow and make sure I don't screw things up. I had the door panel off looking for a short it doesn't seem like there is much easy acsess to the windows.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom