Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: SLP Air Intake

DogAlpha

Corvette
1993 Polo Green Coupe
I put a SLP 3 tube claw air intake on my '93. Any one have this intake. It is my 1st mod and I am a little concerned about driving if there is a heavy rain.

Also I can hear the air being sucked into the intake and exhaust seems louder for some reason, but I really don't know of any power increase as claimed.

Looks great compared to oem box.

I know not to hose the engine(just replaced the opti) Should I worry about moisture or rain?

New here and this seems to be a great forum, Hi! Everyone.

Rain shouldn't be a problem (unless the roads flood and you get caught in it), same with moisture. What really kills the opti is coolant leaking from a failing water pump or outright dousing it with a hose or power washing.

What kind of opti did you get, OEM or MSD? The MSD is activly vented in both 1st and 2nd gen models (OEM is 2nd gen oly, 1st is passive).

Hello and welcome to the:CAC. This is a cool place, great people, and lotsa info!

Welcome

This is the place to when you drive a Corvette. Had a lot of help here from very helpful folks. Welcome. :beer

Steve

Rain shouldn't be a problem (unless the roads flood and you get caught in it), same with moisture. What really kills the opti is coolant leaking from a failing water pump or outright dousing it with a hose or power washing.

I understand the moisture Optispark problems. My question was the SLP intake. Anyone have one? Any water/rain issues?

What kind of opti did you get, OEM or MSD? The MSD is activly vented in both 1st and 2nd gen models (OEM is 2nd gen oly, 1st is passive).

I understand the moisture Optispark problems. My question was the SLP intake. Anyone have one? Any water/rain issues?

I got the Optispark on eBay.

After ordering it I read they where no good but, It was made by Delphi and when I put the engine back together she roared right up and idle is smooth.

I did see others on eBay which said they fit my '93 but I noticed the gasket was a different color and the spline had a hole in it.

The one I ordered looked exactly like mine.

I'll update the thread if it fails.

II did see others on eBay which said they fit my '93 but I noticed the gasket was a different color and the spline had a hole in it.

The one I ordered looked exactly like mine.

I'll update the thread if it fails.

You have to be careful with the optis, there are two versions - 1992 - 1994 (gen 1) and 1995 & 1996 (gen 2). The gen 2 is the better of the two, it's actively vented. There's a tube that uses engine vacuum to draw out moisture. The gen 1 cars can be adapted to use the gen 2 opti but it involves changeing the timing chain cover and it uses a different gear drive off the cam. If you have to replace a gen 1 opti you're better off getting a MSD. Since you've already replaced yours and it's running well just leave it along. Some OEMs are still going strong after 100,000 miles

I will answer your question. I also have a 93 and the SLP. Have not had any problems. Can't answer about rain problems though ;squint: Never goes in the rain.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom