Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smell Gas at the rear

Wegone

Corvette
82,91 ZR-1,
I got home from a 200+ mile trip yesterday, was unloading the luggage from the vette, and could smell gas at the rear of the car. I removed the gas lid and looked for any leaks around the gasket or lines found none I also checked under the tank and around the purge canister everything looked dry.

Could the gas cap vent be bad? Or is it possible to get a gas smell from the canister?
Thanks Steve

If you don't see any obvious leaks I don't think it poses a problem. I have encountered the gasoline smell occasionally, but a range of things like climate, altitude and the like can sometimes cause you to smell the presence of gasoline.

If you checked the system completely and discover no leaks, and the car is running alright, then I wouldn't worry too much. ;)

_ken :w

Thanks Ken,

I'll keep an eye on it..or should I say I''ll keep sniffing :J

How many miles on the car? the Canister still could be bad..

-=Jeff=- said:
How many miles on the car? the Canister still could be bad..

Jeff,

Just turned 24K.. I'll have to take her on another drive and see if I get pressure when I open the gas cap.. if not I would think the cap vent or sending unit seal..

Steve, I had a similar problem on my '93. I noticed it while at an autocross event. When I loosened the gas cap there was so much pressure, gasoline sprayed out. When I replaced the cap I had no more problems. I'm a mechanical sort, so I dissembled the old cap. It was all rusty inside.

Good luck

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom