Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smoothing my ride out

Ricks98

Corvette
1998 Red Coupe
I posted this in the general forum but remembered this was the right place to ask this question
I have a 81 vette. I am definitely not an expert on shocks and suspension. My ride feels pretty harsh and would like to smooth it out. What are your thoughts on what type of shocks I should put on and should I do anything about the actual supension?
Thanks for any thoughts

I don't really know if there is anything you can do to these particular vettes.
Unfortunately,the C-3's are what they are....
when the C-4's came out they started a smoother ride.
I don't know if anybody has tried to find a smoother ride for the C-3's

Your probably right. I am going to change the shocks as they are old and tired. The new tires really helped and I changed out one of the front sway bar links as it was broken. The c3 may ride a bit rough but it sure turns heads.
Thanks
Rick

Rick,

Are the shocks original, and do you know if you have the heavy duty suspension (rear anti-roll bar, 8-leaf 2.50" [metal leaves], special shocks)?

GerryLP:cool

Rick,

Are the shocks original, and do you know if you have the heavy duty suspension (rear anti-roll bar, 8-leaf 2.50" [metal leaves], special shocks)?

GerryLP:cool

Hey Gerry,
Yes the shocks are original. I just ordered some replacements yesterday. Doesn't look like I have the heavy duty suspension. I'm planning on changing the shocks next week. Since I put the new tires on it actually rides pretty good until 60 or so. Looks like the back left shock was leaking. Front springs look ok. I also changed out one of the sway bar links as it was broken. Slowly but surely shes driving much better. After this I get to work on a small transmission leak which looks like its coming from the front seal. At least my wife is happy since this vette keeps me occupied.
Rick

When I first got my 81 I thought the ride was a bit rough as well. Here is what I did. Bought new touring springs for the front and matched them with Bilstein shocks. The rear had a big heavy and squeeky metal spring. I replaced the metal spring with a TRW fiberglass spring, and that was matched with KYB gas shocks that were supposedly valved to be used with fiberglass springs. This was about 10 years ago and I have not seen these shocks recently in any of the parts catalogs. Anyway, the car rides very smooth with the exception of hitting potholes. I think I may need new ball joints.

Thanks for the info. The new shocks just arrived so I'll get them on right away. I'll then work on the other things you've mentioned.
Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom