Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Smoothing the ride

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
I'm looking for useful shock absorber suggestions for my '91.
My car is still running the original Bilstien shocks (base suspension) and there is just over 75k on the odometer. The ride is getting a little rough and I think new units are in order. I have no plans to race or do any autocrossing with it, so I'm not that interested in the "$$$ Kick A$$ Super Shocks $$$" out there. I just need a good set of shocks for a well loved daily driver.:D

Thanks in advance.
Spiderman :w

Ok. maybe I went a little over the top with not wanting high performance shock info, although I didn't realize this topic would be too "shocking" to discuss:Silly

Man.... I crack myself up. :D

If performance is not an issue, the best bet is to replace in kind, that is, use what the General used when he built it. ;)

_ken :w

I believe that I may have started this thread off on the wrong foot. Performance is a concern, although I don't necessarily need a shock that is so stiff that performs great but rattles my teeth to the point I don't like riding in the car. (I enjoy road trips):cool
I was looking for some suggestions on any other manufacturers products that other drivers (you guys) may have used, or are using on your Vettes.

pros, cons, or should i just stick with the Bilstiens? :D

Here is some food for thought. When I bought my car it had 42,000 on it and the AC Delco's were shot! I changed to KYB's from Vette Brakes and the ride improved imensely! I really couldn't believe the difference. After a 20,00o or so miles I upgraded to Z51 Bilstein's Not much ride difference but better handelling. ( a little harsher) now with 160,000 ther hasen't been much change. The bilsteins are still good and the ride is fine. KYB's are in the shed in case of need! I'd say depends on finances KYB were cheap Bilstines more but ok. and better preformance

Thanks ErnieN85. You too Ken. :D

ErnieN85, Why did you replace th KYB's after only putting 20,000 miles on them? They're on my list of possibles.

Ive heard good thing about:

KYB: Excellent Shock for the money (good ride!)
Edelbrock: A little bit more money but a little stiffer
Koni Adjustables: The cream of the crop..Fully adjustable stiff - loose but say goodbye to your beer money! They are Expensive.

Im actually shopping right now to. I had a guy off another Corvette site wanting to sell his TPiS ones (Brand new never used) all for 75$ but it fell through because I asked him the model number (To make sure they were for my car) he didn't want to be bothered.

About the other shock Im going off from what I hear from others.

Well,I was looking for better handeling! I'm not sure it made a big difference! possibly if I had more track time and timed my laps I could tell but as of yet I'm a novice at that. So it's just seat of the pants and KYB seem little inferior to The Bilsteins

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom