Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SNAT ZR-1 "001" on the 'bay

From the listing in the for-sale thread, I noticed this in the ad:

GM gave two ZR1 Corvettes to Callaway to see if he could create a car that would produce more that 450 horsepower with no tubo's or a supercharger.

Is there any truth behind that? I'd never heard anything like that about how the cars came to be.

I am sure Chris will chime in here but this is not the first one, the first one was aqua blue owned by a gentelman in Chicago and he had documentation from Callaway saying so. (So are there 2 #1's HMMMM) Also 500Hp to the rear wheels is wishful thinking, at the crank possibly but not from the rear wheels. Lastly, this is a 475 not a 490 Supernatural, so the 500 claim is pushing it. If I was a potential buyer I would want to see the dyno sheet. Callaway only dynoed the engine out of the car not in it when they built these.

I think this was the same car that Corvette Mike had a few years ago, which I was considering buying before I found #10. Its a damn nice car no need to over sell it. :thumb

Big John-I believe you know!!!!

Apparently there are 3 #001 CR-1's. ConceptCarz.com claims that a red ZR-1 was #001.

callaway_CR-1_001_DV_05_BR-06.jpg

Could it be that the various #001 CR-1's are from various years?

Jason

That red CR1 had its order placed in 1988 before a ZR1 was built(confirmation letter, #001 dash plac, etc.). My money is on that one.

So no info on the claim that GM gave the cars to Callaway to see what they could do with them?

I am sure Chris will chime in here but this is not the first one, the first one was aqua blue owned by a gentelman in Chicago and he had documentation from Callaway saying so. (So are there 2 #1's HMMMM) Also 500Hp to the rear wheels is wishful thinking, at the crank possibly but not from the rear wheels. Lastly, this is a 475 not a 490 Supernatural, so the 500 claim is pushing it. If I was a potential buyer I would want to see the dyno sheet. Callaway only dynoed the engine out of the car not in it when they built these.

I think this was the same car that Corvette Mike had a few years ago, which I was considering buying before I found #10. Its a damn nice car no need to over sell it. :thumb
The blue one was Steve Deshlers car I believe.. (one of my favorites too) it was an Aerobody as well.. I forget all the specifics but i remember seeing the car Although Steve's was a 1992

Here is the clip from is post on CF in 2003 when he was selling it:
1992 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1 for sale. What can I say? 2002 sucked wind. This is the first ZR-1 AeroBody ever made and since the molds have been destroyed it will remain part of a very small club. The motor is a Rippie 368. Last time on the dyno it made 441 HP. Lots of people say this but it is a one of a kind piece.

HE was OldZR-1Guy on that forum

I think the one on Ebay now and the one with Corvette Mike few years ago are the same car,

I remember something about Mike writing me the car was sold heading for TN.
Have to dig up the VIN info from back then from Corvette Mike to compare.

I have seen copies of this R&D letter and was aiming to save money for this special car, and dissapointed when I saw it was sold with CM.

someone in TN area to check out these papers ? or better. Chris can you let Callaway do a VIN comparision what their records are.

love to hear :thumb

also very surprised to hear the RED is the real mc coy and not the black as I thought for several years.

can someone update me with more pics and details about the absolute 001. :cool

funny, that's now the third CR1 that thinks they are "#001".

Will the real "001" please stand up?

Strange, do you have a letter of acceptance? I've seen a letter from Reeves dated 10/88 to a customer stating this is our first confirmed order.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom