Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Snell Racing Helmet

twiget

Corvette
In the market
For some reason the local drag strip wont let me run my car with out a helmet. :D

Does anyone have any favorites? Any recommendations?

Jason

Most if not all the tracks now require you to wear a helmet if your racing.

As for helmets, there's so many brands out there now. But definetly go with a brand name such as Bell, Simpson. Also, try a local motorcycle shop too. They also sell good helmets.

BTW SNELL is the safety rating of the helmet, I think. Make sure the Snell number (Which will be the last 2 numbers of the year the helmet was rated for. ie - Snell 08) is the most recent, if your getting a Snell rated helmet.

For some reason the local drag strip wont let me run my car with out a helmet. :D

Jason

NHRA tracks requires a helmet for the driver of any car going faster than 14.0 seconds in the quarter mile. Your C6 certainly qualifies. :thumb

I would definitely look around at some bike shops, you might be surprised at how little some of them weigh now and a lot of them are reasonably comfortable.

Jason

Find a make that fits you well. I'd recommend finding a store, and not buying your first helmet online. Bell helmets fit me well.

Get the track or event sponsor's helmet requirements. Most groups are requiring drivers wear helmets with a Snell 95 (or newer) rating.

There's no such thing as a Snell 08 rating.

NHRA tracks requires a helmet for the driver of any car going faster than 14.0 seconds in the quarter mile. Your C6 certainly qualifies. :thumb

Oh, I knew the reason I had to have a helmet. I was trying to be a smart ass. Guess the humor didnt come through. :thumb

I'll go check out one of the local motorcycle shops tonight.

Thanks guys.

Jason

....There's no such thing as a Snell 08 rating.

I was just using Snell 08 as an example. The last I remember Snell 95 was the most recent. Wasn't sure if it had been updated recently. My bad.

Drth - way back when, when I raced, the track (Atco) required everyone to wear a helmet that was racing. Didn't matter if your running a Schwinn. Does everyone still have to wear a helmet, or just the ones with the specs you mentioned???

Drth - way back when, when I raced, the track (Atco) required everyone to wear a helmet that was racing. Didn't matter if your running a Schwinn. Does everyone still have to wear a helmet, or just the ones with the specs you mentioned???

At my local track (Firebird Raceway near Boise) a helmet is not required for the slower cars. They have a lot of events where the majority of the cars run slower than 14 seconds. The High School Drags bring out all kinds of slowmobiles. Mom's minivan, kid's $200 car, etc. There are events where there is no elimination; you can run until they shut down and race your friends or settle an argument about who's car is faster. They stress racing the strip instead of the street. I guess the point is that not requiring a helmet when you run slower than 14.0 is partially a monetary decision- it would cost them business. And it might result in more street racing. They follow the NHRA rules very strictly. The rules say no helmet needed until 14.0, so that is what they do.

You should look for a snell 2005 rated helmet. Be careful not to get a helmet that is only DOT rated - some tracks will allow their use, but NHRA certified track require Snell rated helmet. Here si a link for the ratings:

http://www.smf.org/stds.html

I found a helmet at one of the local motorcycle shops that is Snell 2005 rated. I look like I'm an extra from Space Balls when I wear it, but oh well.

:thumb Jason

There's a difference between "M" and "SA" helmets. Make sure you have the proper helmet rating as some places do not allow "M" helmets for cars.

in the State of New Jersey, the DMV/DoT/whatever-it-is-called-there has jurisdiction over all motorsports in the state, not the presiding sanctioning body, in this case NHRA, and tracks in NJ have some of the strictest rules of any tracks in America, which could be enforced by the NJSP:
an increasing number of other drag strips also require helmets for any and all participants as a safety-precaution.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom