Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So what is the big difference between the 1967, L71 & L88

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
The L-71 was sold in a few thousand and was listed at 435 HP while only 20 L-88 engines were sold and listed at 430 HP, what gives for the difference in numbers?

And 67Heaven here is another addition for your back in time link for 1967. I went into the Army at the ripe age of 17, thus I never registered for the draft. ;) :L

I'll throw my $.02 in but don't hold it against me since my memory is bad.
The L88 was a race engine,and more expensive then the L-71.
I believe there were other requirements to order one, I don't think the average joe blow could walk into the Cheverolet dealer and buy one. ;)

I don't think you could get a heater or radio with the L-88 and the HD suspension, brakes,trans were all required options=more money, no creature comforts. The horsepower rating of the L-88 was supposed to be a marketing ploy so someone with more money then brains would opt for the higher rated 435 instead of the L-88 (don't know how true that is, but it makes sense)

I remember hearing about the L-88's back then but never saw one except in the magazines, now they are popping up all over.;LOL

Craig is largely correct.

The differences in the engines includes things like compression, heads, intake, carburetion, camshaft profile, and a host of other items. All were intended for Heavy Duty (read that as racing ;) ) use and the L-88 was not included in Chevy sales literature for 1967.

They were built late in the model year, and only "insiders" even knew about them in mid-1967.

In '67 only, they ran with no anti-pollution equipment (simple road-draft tube) and were therefore technically non-streetable.

In '67 only, they came without a heater or defroster.

If you've never heard a L-88 idling through open headers, you haven't lived. ;)

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/l88/index.html

30rwtih.jpg

Incidentally, the 430 hp rating was technically correct for the rpm reading where Chevy recorded it. ;)

;LOL

That's the road-draft tube coming off the driver's side valve cover. It spit the gases, that would be recycled by the normal PVC system, out onto the road.

L71 V L88

5583big_twin_at_ranch_s.jpg
Actually the L71 is nothing more than the 1966 L72 with tri-power. The L88 is a completely different animal. But for the "IT" sticker on the valve covers and externally with the orange paint they are almost identical. However thats where it stops. The differences are aluminum heads, 12.5-1 compression forged pistons with special full floating pink rods, a 540/560 solid lifter cam, open plenum dual plane intake, and a 850 Holley carb with a TI ignition developed close to 600 HP with headers in the first series of L88`s in early 1967. I immediately bought my first two in Feburary of 1967 at a cost of $2400.00 for the pair and placed them in a 18 foot V-drive drag boat. Awsome power and occasionally a little hard to handle. :L See Below,

PS the tell tale "IT" sticker s are at the rear of the right valve covers.

5583april_67_twin_s.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom