Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Soda Blasting vs. Sand Blasting

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Is paint stripping by soda blasting used more now in the restoration process than sand blasting?

http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=4254d26e9c7f2af1005c

I'm not sure I correctly understand your question.

The link you provided shows a Corvette body being stripped. You would not ever want to use sand to blast fiberglass, since it would be too aggressive and badly scar the surface; same with glass beads; soda media is much milder and is commonly used to strip Corvettes (seems to me I've heard of finely-ground walnut shells being used as media, too). Many say it is safer to use a chemical stripper meant specifically for fiberglass, or to use (carefully) a jitterbug sander; some advocate using razor blades to strip the top layers of paint, followed by sanding. If you are stripping heavy rust from steel, then silica sand is probably the way to go, or if stripping paint from aluminum castings, then perhaps glass beads are the correct media... eg, match the aggressiveness of the media to the toughness of the material you are trying to remove while also considering the base material you'll encounter as the paint is stripped away, because you don't want to damage that base material.

I might add that soda blasting a Corvette body should only be attempted by experts, since horror stories abound of Vette bodies being ruined by amateurs looking for a shortcut to a tedious stripping procedure.

I'm not sure I correctly understand your question.
I don't think he was asking a question so much as showing what an expert soda blaster can do. Rob surfs Vette-tube regularly and posts videos he figures we'll find interesting in the appropriate forum. I'm guessing that's what he was doing here.

-Mac

i have my own blasting set up and use type 6 acrylic on fiberglass and steel. i use starblast to clean rust off. i will not use soda or work on a car that has been blasted with it or chem strip. both can cause huge problems that can cause a complete repaint. chemstrip can attack the bonding agent and cause cracks. too much risk for me. silica is a huge health hazard to start with and really has no place in the field anymore with all the new medias out there.

I use Ground Walnut shells,On Fiberglass,Steel and Aluminum!!:upthumbs

I fight with this decision constintly.I dont like soda blasting but it has become the norm it seems.Soda blasting does nothing for rust and doesnt etch the metal for primer to adhere .If we are discussing fiberglass only then its not a bad choice but as you know there are metal areas on a corvette,frame,door jambs etc..On corvettes I still prefer to chemically strip the outside and machine strip the jambs and hood openings.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom