Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Soft top Cloth VS Vynal

Soft top Vynal VS Cloth

• Vynal is the best

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Spend the extra money for Cloth

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

bossvette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1968 1997
I want to know the consensus as to which holds up longer in daily use, my 68 has only the hard top and I am buying parts to replace the soft top. So I am looking for feedback from those that raise and lower your tops often, I plan on driving it often this summer and that means I will be using the top often since I work midnights and don't want to park it over night with the top down.

well I guess this poll is worthless ;LOL

While browsing Ebay, etc I could have sworn there were basically two styles of tops offered the Vynal at around $170-200 and the higher priced $300+ which I assumed were Cloth or Canvas. I did buy a Vynal top for $135.
I bought the 68 sight unseen with the intent it being a project car, but it has been so much fun driving with the top off the end of the summer that I am putting the project off a few years and going to use it as a weekend fun car and just fix the little stuff that pop up as needed.

I plan on redoing the top and interior with Al Knoch stuff in the future but for now I will just do the drivers seat and top in Vynal so I can drive it this summer.

It`s called "sail cloth" and was never OEM. :upthumbs

It`s called "sail cloth" and was never OEM. :upthumbs

Thanks Wally, I'm not concerned with OEM or numbers match but was curious about the difference. Does it hold up better then Vynal under daily use?

Thanks
Craig sr

Probably not NCRS correct, but a very nice top. More like class to go with the leather interiors :D They appear to be more difficult to install unless by a pro. That being said patience cures that problem.

I'm still waiting on Mary Lou to get back to me on the top install video, they were out of stock. I have an el-cheapo Vynal to practice on then in a few years when I do the interior in leather I'll do the top in cloth. I want to enjoy it for a while before I tear into it. ;LOL

depends on where you live

I want to know the consensus as to which holds up longer in daily use, my 68 has only the hard top and I am buying parts to replace the soft top. So I am looking for feedback from those that raise and lower your tops often, I plan on driving it often this summer and that means I will be using the top often since I work midnights and don't want to park it over night with the top down.
sale cloth or canvas is superrior , but vinyl is best ill tell you why, depending where you live , yousee canvas, fades in just 2to3 years a black top can end up dark gray, same with blues and tans they chang there colour , and they stain bad, especially white, with vinyl you dont have these problems. regards wayne.

I have been doing research for a new top for my 64 and found this place.

www.convertibletopguys.com

I am also considering the canvas material. I hadn't considered the fact that it may fade as mentioned in an earlier post. I really like the look of the canvas and my originial vinyl top I am replacing only lasted 5 years then started to come apart around the back window. Has anyone heard of these the convertibletopguys? I will have to give this some more thought before I act.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom