Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Some good advice......lol

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I have discovered that if you are planning on replacing your exhaust, you should NOT have the car undercoated!!! What a dirty mess.

I am in the process of replacing my "sort of" stock exhaust with a whole new system complete with headers that I bought from Corvette Central.
yb.dll
It is supposed to be a direct fit and I guess, so far overall it is. The only things I have had to remove so far are the plug wire shields and I had to get a longer ground strap on the starter to reroute it. (I already had the a/c and a.i.r. taken off) I will have to reroute the plug wires now and get hi heat ones and also the transmission cooling lines will be basically touching the exhaust if I don't move them. Would it cause a problem if I left them there like a fire hazard or anything?
Anywho, back to work...

Definitely move the trans lines. You may be able to just push them over and gain enough clearance. If the lines are touching anything and rub through, the transmission fluid is flammable. I am interested in hearing how the exhaust works for you, I would like to do the same to mine...

exhaust is on....

Definitely move the trans lines. You may be able to just push them over and gain enough clearance. If the lines are touching anything and rub through, the transmission fluid is flammable. I am interested in hearing how the exhaust works for you, I would like to do the same to mine...

I am now finished installing the exhaust. It is advertised as a "direct fit" system and it pretty much was. The only mods I had to make were removing the plug wire guards, rerouting the wires over top, rerouting the trans cooling lines (thanks) and I had to gring the end off of the original hanger that comes off of the tranny mount (in the middle of the car). It fits really nice and uses the original spots for the muffler mounts (they give you 2 new ones). The only thing I have left to do is install new high heat plug wires and wrap some of the sensor wires with heat tape. I think I may put heat guards on the plug boots also. I already took my a/c and a.i.r. pump off the car but I think that you can use these headers even if you haven't. They give you a little tubular spacer for the r/side front manifold bolt. Let me know if you have any questions.
p.s. I have started it and it sounds pretty good, but I haven't driven it yet.

Thanks! Mine just went today to the paint shop, so maybe this will be my next project!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom