Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

somethings not right......

regalniz

Corvette
94 Polo Green Convertible w/auto
i put on a 58mm throttle body on about two months ago. dont know anything about adjusting the tps or the iac valve. just recently ive been getting about 70 miles less per tank, rough idle, and black smoke from the tailpipes. im getting no codes. i was thinking o2 sensor but im not getting any codes. i put on a new set of horns (from griots) about a month ago and i had to disconnect the battery for an hour or so. i read on this site that it takes the computer a while to get itself back to normal. is there any validity to that? if so should i wait it out or go ahead and replace the o2 sensors and adjust the iac and tps?

It is true that when you disconnect your battery for some time, the ecm has to relearn your driving habits.

When you changed the tb, did you spill any coolant from the bypass onto the opti spark?

Sounds like the first signs of an opti failure due to corrosion.

did a tb bypass more than a year ago. i should now report that the idle stays high (about 900rpms) even when warmed up.

It doesn't take all that long for the PCM to start making corrections. It will start learning almost as soon as you enter closed loop.
You may have a vacuum leak causing your symptoms.
Do you have a way of looking (DataMaster, Scantool, or similar) at the BLM's and IAC counts? besides looking at these, it may give you an indication of the problem.

Good luck,

Gordon

WitchHunter Performance

i was looking into those programs but it seemed to me that the obd1 is very limited on what you can change or diagnose unless you go to a dealership. obd2 on the other hand is more friendly when it comes to the everyday schmo working on his car. if im wrong let me know because im still interested in setting up one of the above mentioned programs.

I would do a search for instructions on adjustng the TPS and the IAC. It does not take long and is pretty easy. Good luck.

First off Regal, I think 58mm is way to big unless your pushing 450plus hp,If ya are gonna upgrade, start with 52mm,remember factory stock TB is 48mm,Do you have a aftermarket chip in it?

sorry about the misprint. i meant 52mm. installed the hypertech pp over a year ago and the car ran fine since. i bought new sensors yesterday and im going to attempt replacing them today. any last words of advice?

new o2 sensors are in. still rough idle. gonna need a week or so to see if my mpg's are still low. dont wanna see the word optispark in my future.

just a little follow up....

brought my car to a gm "performance shop." the guy had it all day. he said the car is in perfect running condition! no codes or anything. here it is 2 two weeks later and the car uses gas and blows black smoke like nobodys business. could it be a faulty injector?

i do not know what brand t.b you are using but had a friend put one on his car and it never ran correctly. turns out the t.b. was machined wrong and the company replaced it no charge never the less check the min air rate and tps for proper adjustment steve

its a bbk/edlebrock unit. these problems started happening some time after i did any mod to the car. i only blow smoke when i get on it, about half way. other than that the car runs like a champ.

The TPS is non adjustable on this year model

Actually you can buy an adjustable one. I have one on mine.

As far as the BBK 52mm, thats what I have. I had the same problem. It turns out that the connector that go to the TPS was worn out. There are 3 male connectors and 3 female connectors. One of the female connectors was loose (hehehe) and the Male connector was not fitting tight (hehehehe). It was causing problems with the ECM. Once I replaceed the connector, the problem went away.

gotta love them loose female connectors. anyway ill check it out next time i get home from work during daylight hours. thanx.

brought the vette to another chevy guy who came highly recomended. hes think bad injectors or bad egr valve. after doing some more research on this site im seeing a lot of talk about "open loop". i do have the 160 therm and its been quite cold here in vegas. car rarely gets into the 180's. but when it does fans go on at 184 and temp goes down again. could this be a possible reason for my rough idle, black smoke, and crappy mpgs?

UB2 SLOW said:
Actually you can buy an adjustable one. I have one on mine.

As far as the BBK 52mm, thats what I have. I had the same problem. It turns out that the connector that go to the TPS was worn out. There are 3 male connectors and 3 female connectors. One of the female connectors was loose (hehehe) and the Male connector was not fitting tight (hehehehe). It was causing problems with the ECM. Once I replaceed the connector, the problem went away.

oh yeah, all connectors look tight and clean.

some more follow up. bought two containers of lucas fuel injector detergent and used them in two tanks of chevrons techron. no improvement. thinking about sending injectors to gorden at whitchhunter. i need some tips on removing the fuel injectors. anything i should know b4 pulling these things out?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom