Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SORRY - It ain't time to start dragging your feet...

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
UAW: Auto plans need more time: Gettelfinger says GM, Chrysler restructurings by Feb. 17 is unfeasible.

WASHINGTON -- United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger said Monday that a Feb. 17 deadline for General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC to complete restructuring plans may be "unattainable."

Last month, the U.S. Treasury Department agreed to loan the two cash-strapped automakers up to $17.4 billion to keep them afloat, but the money is contingent on the companies' filing detailed restructuring plans that include sacrifices from key stakeholders, including the UAW and bondholders, among others.

"Honestly, most people that have looked at this from a realistic standpoint would say this timeline is almost unattainable," Gettelfinger told reporters at an event hosted by Michigan lawmakers ahead of today's presidential inauguration. "I said to myself that I hope this wasn't set up to intentionally fail. ... People have no idea of the magnitude of what they were asking these companies to do."

GM and Chrysler declined to comment specifically on Gettelfinger's remarks.

"We're working hard to meet the terms," of the loans, said GM spokesman Greg Martin.

Canada: Cut auto wages: Union surprised as government wants GM, Chrysler to lower labor costs to get $3B loan.

The Canadian government is requiring automakers to cut wages as part of a condition of the $3.2 billion (U.S.) loan from the Canadian and Ontario governments to the Canadian subsidiaries of Chrysler LLC and General Motors Corp.

CAW President Ken Lewenza expressed surprise and anger Monday at the suggestion of wage cuts for Canadian autoworkers to bring them in line with their U.S. counterparts, including those employed by nonunionized foreign carmakers.

"We should be at the table. Nobody has engaged us at all about the loan or conditions," he said,

Federal Industry Minister Tony Clement brought the condition -- a draft of which was sent to the automakers Jan. 8 -- to light Monday in a speech in Toronto.

Your right don't drag your feet .Remember the general public was not in favor of the bridge loans .I think this is GM's one and only.Chrysler has an offer from Fiat and Ford maybe able to go without Fed money.If GM goes down the tube Ford could be the biggest winner two years down the road.

I really don’t see any reason that the union shouldn’t take some concessions and the best way for that to happen is for our government to lead the way. First thing they could do is return the raise they granted themselves this last fall. Next they could take a percentage cut of their salary so the union would know how much they need to reduce their wages. Then to keep things rolling they could assume the same insurance program as they are making the retired people live/die with. Next I think their wages should be based on their public approval rating.

Just a thought, of course it doesn’t count as I’m not a government employee, just the guy that pays them what they think they should get.

I really don’t see any reason that the union shouldn’t take some concessions and the best way for that to happen is for our government to lead the way. First thing they could do is return the raise they granted themselves this last fall. Next they could take a percentage cut of their salary so the union would know how much they need to reduce their wages. Then to keep things rolling they could assume the same insurance program as they are making the retired people live/die with. Next I think their wages should be based on their public approval rating.

Just a thought, of course it doesn’t count as I’m not a government employee, just the guy that pays them what they think they should get.

I don't know why you'd think a pay cut for the federal government employees equals a pay cut for the UAW workers, it's like comparing apples to bananas? First off President Obama just signed off on freezing anyones pay above $100.000, but also the pay increases government employees get is based on a cola forumla agreed to a long time ago. And needless to say, The Federal employees didn't go in front of congress begging for a bailout or bridge loan or whatever. We're not talking about people at the social security administration looking at their executive branch going bankrupt.

This is a private company and the union that controls it's labor issues and THAT company is going bankrupt. If the union wants to see that the company stays afloat, then they'll agree to the mandates outlined by the Bush administrations loan conditions. If not then Mr. Gettelfinger can call for a strike and let the chips fall where they may. If My company is in dire straits and has no cash to work with, we the employees can't say, "Well the state employees need to take a pay cut if we have to !" this kind of reasoning is bazzar. It's time for Gettelfinger and his union to decide if they want to have some jobs over the chance of having no jobs. Plain and simple, work or no work.

The Federal government doesn't have the money it's agreed to give GM and Chrysler, they, Or should I say 'we' the taxpayers have had to barrow it. and in lending it out we have the right to expect it's not open ended money that has no reason to be returned. I can't see the logic here.

And NO, I don't work in the government.

Sorry I wasn’t specific enough about the raise that they voted in for themselves. Has nothing to do with those employed by the government that are on a structured wage that is under cola guidelines, I doubt they get to vote on their wages. I assume you know the banks that were covered up with money are private companies. You also know they gave out bonuses of our money that was borrowed in our grandchildren’s name.

Yes the president froze some wages but he is still allowing the comedy team of Senate and Congress to operate at or below the approval rating of our last president that saw fit to allow them to remain self serving.

I’m not blaming the union, industry, or the taxpayer. Our laws that allowed massive financial manipulation have generated most of our financial crisis. Who passed those laws?

Yes, you do work for the government, they let you keep enough to make ends meet, sometimes.

Sorry I wasn’t specific enough about the raise that they voted in for themselves. Has nothing to do with those employed by the government that are on a structured wage that is under cola guidelines, I doubt they get to vote on their wages. I assume you know the banks that were covered up with money are private companies. You also know they gave out bonuses of our money that was borrowed in our grandchildren’s name.

Yes the president froze some wages but he is still allowing the comedy team of Senate and Congress to operate at or below the approval rating of our last president that saw fit to allow them to remain self serving.

I’m not blaming the union, industry, or the taxpayer. Our laws that allowed massive financial manipulation have generated most of our financial crisis. Who passed those laws?

Yes, you do work for the government, they let you keep enough to make ends meet, sometimes.

Yes, I see your point. But the President of the United States doesn't get to tell the Senators or Congressmen anything, He can accept a bill they send for his signiture or veto it. But he doesn't get to tell them anything. He can lobby amonst them to try and get a peticular bills passage, but that's the extent of his power. Sure i think if they took a reduction in salary it would be great, but that is the same as hoping to see an elaphant balance itself on a peanut, not going to happen.

I could and do expect to see the management of General Motors take a pay cut, and Mr. Wagoner and the CEO of Chrysler have agreed to work for $1.00 a year while they are operating on the Federal governments 'bridge loan'. What I do expect is some form of leadership from the UAW and see them work out a plan that allows GM to stay in business, but so far all I have seen is union stalling for time and or posturing to gain a ownership stake in the General Motors Company, And Considering the shape of our economy I seriously doubt the government is going to bankroll the automakers very much further. The 17.4 billion is part of the TARP funds which we have to barrow and since we lost track of the monies we have thus far lent to the financial banks and commodities firms, Congress isn't in too good a mood to companies who cry "we out of money". In that case, the union is the last to agree or disagree with the government mandates and it will be up to them if General Motors continues any longer as a auto maker. :cry

Unless the UAW "braintrust" are void of any gray matter, they'll get their butts in gear and make any necessary changes in order to stay in business along with GM.

If my back was against the wall but there was a light at the end of the tunnel with contingencies, I'd make damn sure those contingencies were met. What good is a union without any members for the management to live off of?

Furthermore, I was reading yesterday about how most of the "American" banks WE bailed out have a good portion of THEIR moneys invested in offshore funds which are NOT taxable. What a friggin' joke this all is. And I'd bet a dollar to a donut that GM, Ford and Chrysler are in on all that crap, too.

I have a sinking feeling that when the bathwater is thrown out we'll wish we threw the auto baby in with it.

There's something rotten in Detroit, D.C. and Denmark. I know it's lutefisk in Denmark, and I'm pretty sure that these megacorporations and megabanks are stinking it up here.

I don't care if there's a heaven for me, but I hope there's a hell for all these scumbags!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom