Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Soundproofing Mod

djones14

Corvette
1997 silver coupe
Just finished installing soundproofing mod. Kit came from exottic vettes and was a joy to install. Precut and helped with sound level and cut down on tunnel heat.

I recommend it.

www.exoticvette.com

More information, please. Website? Company name? product? I am familiar with koolmat.

yes, and for the budget minded C5 owner, pick up 5 or 6 rolls of Frost King at Home Depot or Lowes.
Very similar results. But you do have to cut it yourself.

Many tutorials out there if anyone needs links, let me know.
(about to do this myself)

I just did this same install in the rear of my coupe last Friday. Regardless of which system you use (Exotic Vette kit, Dynamat, Frost King), you'll probably have to adjust the compartment covers. The latches are a 3-piece assembly that come apart by hand (no tools needed). I just placed a washer over the threaded shaft (on the underside ) and reassembled. That was enough to compensate for the thickness of the insulation and allow the latch to "catch."

Hey, where are you in Oklahoma? I looked at the information you reference, and it is about 20% the cost of Kool Mat. Did you consider Kool Mat? It would appear that Kool mat is a superior product, but that price point sure is different. Did the kit you bought also include the bulkhead behind the seats? Nice article in Vette I think, last month, w/KoolMat showed biggest db reduction was when that bulkhead was covered

Oklahoma City. To answer your question all of interior of car is covered. Just came back from lunch and it DOES make a difference inside car. For price can't beat it.

I'm in OKC area as well. I'll have to consider that as I was looking at the Kool Mat based on the articles in 'vette. Do you participate in one of the clubs around here? I've gotten a little lazy and keep meaning to renew, but if you're at some of the shows, maybe I could bother you for a look/hear. I think I'm driving up to Enid for the show Saturday with my sons.
Thanks for the info.

in case anyone needs the info - here is a thread on the matter as well as Mike's step by step tutorial.

Good luck
Rain

Mike's Page:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm

Thread with some additional tips:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1037824&page=1&pp=20

Anyhow....having taken out the interior we started to install the Frost King insulation. What we discovered is that the amount of Frost King rolls needed is more like 9/10 rolls (not 5 as Mike Mercury suggests) for the FRC. That included doing the cabin, waterfall, and entire trunk area.

Some observations from the install:

1. Mike Mercury provides the LOWE'S SKU # at his website. Go directly to LOWE'S Customer Service desk, give them the SKU # and ask them if:
a. It's in Stock ?
b. How many rolls do they have ?
c. Which department is it in ?

2. My LOWE's here in NW Pennsylvania stocks the Frost King Insulation in the Plumbing Dept. Make sure you go to Mike Mercury's site: http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm and know what the packaged product looks like (Mike has a pic of it). Chances are the LOWE's people won't have a clue what it looks like or even where it's stocked within their department. If the computer inventory says they have X #'s of rolls in stock, they do. Don't let the employees be lazy and tell you: "we don't have any."

3. The Frost King Insulation should unroll easily. As you unroll it the stuff should peel away easily. If you find it sticking to the roll as you peel it away, tearing, the stuff is defective. Take it back to the store and exchange it for a fresh roll. I found this happening on the very last roll I needed to use. I was able to make do with what I had left as a trip to my LOWE's was a 50-mile round trip. SUGGESTION: If you buy a couple more rolls than you think you'll need LOWE's will refund your money on returned rolls unopened.

4. This technique of Mike Mercury's to insulate with the Frost King is next to genius status as far as I'm concerned. You'll need basic handtools to remove the seats, console and various plastic trim parts from the interior. The only tool we found to be nice to have access to was a pneumatic impact wrench for R & R of the seatbelt mounting bolts. They're a pain to remove and re-install because of the torque needed. You can probably just work around the belt mounting brackets but we took them out and installed the belt mounting brackets over the insulation.

5. After we finished the job having put the car back together I wondered if perhaps we shouldn't have just doubled the layer of Frost King we had installed in the 'Vette. There IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM under the carpet for a single layer of the Frost King. In fact we could have double-layered the insulation but perhaps that would have been overkill ? I'll probably never know as I'm extremely pleased with the results and will never tear the interior apart again.

6. While you have the interior ripped out you may want to replace the OEM rear speakers. Even if you have the BOSE crap speakers (cardboard coned junk made in Mexico) I suggest you replace them. The speakers are exposed and it's one thing you can take care of in addition to insulating your 'Vette.

It's an all-day job. So if you have a friend helping be prepared to spend the entire day, starting early. Have the Pizza delivery guy on call.

For detailed guidance & instructions on this modification go to Mike Mercury's website: http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm

Kudos to Mike Mercury and a big THANK YOU ! from me. The results allow you to speak with a passenger using normal conversation. And the road noise is practically eliminated. Add a trunk partition and you're in business !

Sound/Heat proofing...

Hi Rain ! & Everybody else.. :w

My buddy just started this project this weekend, as he couldn't do anything else because of the weather ! He bought the kit that "Crazy-C5-Cowboy" on the CF sells, which, BTW, he is running a special on ($200.00) and it looks like a good kit. Just out of curiosity, what did the Frost King run you per roll ? I am planning on doing this project myself, and was wondering if this would be cheaper ? The kit from Crazy doesn't have any adhesive included, so that is an additional expense, depending on what you choose to use. If I understand correctly, the Frost King has adhesive backing ?

:pat
Steve.

Lowe's - $14.75 p/ roll

and yes, adhesive backed. Ya just cut it and piece it in.
Some places you end up putting several smaller pieces down to fill the space (it doesnt have to look pretty tobe effective).

Do a search in the C5 Technical area under "insulation".

I've done my car and have REALLY appreciated the lowered levels of road/tire noise. The section behind the seats is the greatest culprit of noise transmission, with the trunk area coming in second.

I think (don't know for sure) that the frost king stuff is too light to cut the vibrations as much as the stuff I used (VB2) and the Dynamat materials, but you'll still get an improved noise reduction.

Hey Bob! Thanks for the washer tip. My latches don't always catch, and I didn't think to add a washer to extend it further down...

I may even be able to get the car out this weekend. (Mud on top of frozen ground prevents me from trying to get to the road.)

I did this modification over the weekend. It is not difficult, but it took about 8-12 hours to do the whole thing. The car is MUCH quieter. Normal conversation can occur at highway speed. The exhaust sound is still quite apparent at full throttle, but unobtrusive while cruising. I think that this mod is well worth the time and effort, if your Corvette is too loud. I don't think that I added more than 10# and spent about $100.

I forgot to mention that I did the "frost king" method. It took 6 rolls. It could take more if you cover more than I did. I did not do the tunnel, for example. I was after noise reduction, more than heat.

Some future NCRS person will curse me in 30 years....

did you try to double it like Mike spoke of in the above thread? or just single layer?
thanks

lyle nelson said:
did you try to double it like Mike spoke of in the above thread? or just single layer?
thanks

I did a single layer. It really was plenty from a noise point of view. I think that there would get to be some troublesome issues with 2 layers. The seats would cinch down to the old positions by smashing the foam, but the clips that cover the bolts would want to be higher, in the new position. Fit would be a problem. It was difficult enough with 1 layer. Also, the storage bins in the back might provide issues. The carpet might not fit well, etc.

Hey guys, I'm from ExoticVette.com and just found this thread - that's a great tip for the latches to help them catch! I will use that from now on :) If anyone is interested in our precut kit just email me and I'll give you a discount if you mention the action center!

Dan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom