Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Space Saver Spare Tire

R

RoyalViking

My space saver spare has dry rot cracking on the sidewall. I asked a tire shop if they could get me a replacement. They could not come up with one. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement tire?

I've heard that the donut from one of the foreign imports will fit but I'm not sure which one it is. Do a search here and on some of the other forums. Otherwise I suggest you carry the "deluxe C4 roadside emergency kit", a AAA card, cell phone and credit card.

Of course I would see your post at this late hour... :eyerole

When I had my C4, my Corvette man Kevin got a spare for me (a new one) from somewhere. I'll give him a call tomorrow and let you know what he suggests if no one else comes up with an alternative in the meantime.

:wJane Ann

Hi and thanks for the replies. :)

I did get a price yesterday through a Toyota dealer for the phenominal price of $285! Simply unbelievable. I don't know if this is the going rate or if there are better prices out there. I did have to use the spare recently because of a flat and it did hold up to get me home (less than 5 miles).

I actually purchased one at a local junk yard. Made sure it fit my 1966 coupe and paid $10 for it. I just measured total diameter, 26 inches, and had a template of the Chevy bolt pattern. I think the one I got is a 16 inch spare tire from a Chevy Trail Blazer.

When I had my C4, my Corvette man Kevin got a spare for me (a new one) from somewhere. I'll give him a call tomorrow and let you know what he suggests if no one else comes up with an alternative in the meantime.

Hi Jane Ann, Do you know if your friend had a better price than I had found? I may have to try the junk yard. The price may be good but may I have no idea how long the tire may last.

Thanks,
Roy

as for using the spare tire can the stock wheel fit underneath on the car( or would you just throw it inside and limp to a service station, can anything bigger than the spare fit in the spare holder ?

On my 92 there are two positions on the hinge on the tire carrier. One for the spare and one for the full size tire and wheel.

Hi Jane Ann, Do you know if your friend had a better price than I had found? I may have to try the junk yard. The price may be good but may I have no idea how long the tire may last.

Thanks,
Roy
My apologies for not answering sooner, Roy. My friend's been on vacation and then I totally forgot. :ugh

But, no, he wasn't able to beat the price you mentioned. At the time, we couldn't find one from a junkyard and we had to order one.

:wJane Ann

E Bay I got one for $20.00 Plus $10.00 for Shipping

I've heard that the donut from one of the foreign imports will fit but I'm not sure which one it is. Do a search here and on some of the other forums. Otherwise I suggest you carry the "deluxe C4 roadside emergency kit", a AAA card, cell phone and credit card.

Some BMW cars have tha same bolt pattern as Corvette, think it is 5 x 120.

I finally got some time to go to a salvage yard. After walking through the entire lot and looking into every trunk that was open or had a spare tire mounted I came close. I found a Volvo sedan that had a T125/80D17. The stock spare is T155/70D17. I am not comfortable using the tire even though it would probably work as a temp spare. So the search continues...

Totally out of left field, but I once read about the Smithsonian restoring an old plane, tires last held air about 30 years previous, and were dry rotted. They soaked them in armor-all for about a week, and they held air, and even looked pretty good. I don't know if this would apply in the real world, or I'd trust my safety in driving to it, but it's an idea :crazy

Totally out of left field, but I once read about the Smithsonian restoring an old plane, tires last held air about 30 years previous, and were dry rotted. They soaked them in armor-all for about a week, and they held air, and even looked pretty good. I don't know if this would apply in the real world, or I'd trust my safety in driving to it, but it's an idea :crazy

I've had my "life-saver" spare off for several yrs, using that space for coolers...I recently dug it out of the garage heap and cleaned it up planning to re-install it soon...Its held air for 23 yrs, never been used, no dry rot, and looks brand new. I DO plan on filling it with nitrogen.

Also, I just watched the local news hottie do an interview with some tire engineer. The new standard today is that any tire 6 yrs or over is deemed too old for use and should be replaced because of the natural decay of rubber when exposed to oxygen.
Sounds a little like tire mfg hooey...to sell more tires, but it could be true.

I've had my "life-saver" spare off for several yrs, using that space for coolers...I recently dug it out of the garage heap and cleaned it up planning to re-install it soon...Its held air for 23 yrs, never been used, no dry rot, and looks brand new. I DO plan on filling it with nitrogen.

Also, I just watched the local news hottie do an interview with some tire engineer. The new standard today is that any tire 6 yrs or over is deemed too old for use and should be replaced because of the natural decay of rubber when exposed to oxygen.
Sounds a little like tire mfg hooey...to sell more tires, but it could be true.

The tires on mine, according to the records, were installed in '05. They look like new. I also have a 91 Stang, and the tires were on it when I got it in '98. I don't drive it every day either, but they seem fine too.

The tires on mine, according to the records, were installed in '05. They look like new. I also have a 91 Stang, and the tires were on it when I got it in '98. I don't drive it every day either, but they seem fine too.

I did replace a set that was only 50% worn because of dry rot everywhere. That set had to have been close to 10 yrs old and had cracks in the sidewalls along the bead and between treads....all the way around. Whats so silly is when I was battling for an inspection sticker, those dry rotted tires passed the "visual" safety inspection...they scared me half to death just driving city streets to the tire shop!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom