Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire questions...

K

K Leitzel

I was crawling around under my 72 the other night with a flashlight. I peeked into the spare tire carrier and !!! no spare tire. Hmmmm....
I'm wondering if I should try to jam a full size spare tire into the carrier or is there a smaller, emergency "doughnut" type of tire.
What do you all think?
THanks...

K Leitzel said:
I peeked into the spare tire carrier and !!! no spare tire. Hmmmm....

A 72 would have come with 5 full size F70/15 tires mounted on 15x8 rally rims. The tires translates to 215 70 15 in todays tire language per the NCRS. If you're running wider tires than stock (most of us are), then it might be a tight squeeze. I'm running 225 15 70 and my spare fights very nicely. If you put a donut in that huge carrier, it's probably going to rattle around since it will not be secured to the tub as the tub was made to hold a full size tire and the tire is only secured by the pressure it exerts on the top and bottom of the carrier. Of course, you're going to have to get your hands on a 15x8 rim (if you want stock) to mount the tire on. Good news is the rims are fairly cheap and available from just about any catalog house you can think of.

Though I don't put many miles on mine, I plan to include my spare in tire rotation. If you don't plan to rotate the spare, you could go with the skinnier stock size (215 70 15) spare in order to keep the metal peice at the back of the carrier farther from the ground. The back edge of the carrier will be lower with wider tires and may scrape when backing out/into steep driveways Ivery annoying).

I'd get a tire in there asap cause you don't want that 72 sitting on the side of the road while you walk away:( .

BTW, that picture is nice - great paint:upthumbs!

Good thing you found out now instead of later. Hey, check out your tires, maybe you had an experimental early C5. They don't have spares either:Roll

I heard of a fellow that travels often in his C3. He found it better to store his luggage and a can of fix-o-flat in the tire carrier. I think he might be on to something.

69MyWay said:
He found it better to store his luggage and a can of fix-o-flat in the tire carrier.

Hmmm, I'll have to give that some thought:D!

- Eric

I took out the whole carrier assembly and put a can of "fix a flat"
in the storage compartments behind the seats.
I know the "can" won't repair a blowout but I sure do like the weight savings and the improvement in the car's appearance from the rear.

redmist said:
I took out the whole carrier assembly and put a can of "fix a flat"
in the storage compartments behind the seats.
I know the "can" won't repair a blowout but I sure do like the weight savings and the improvement in the car's appearance from the rear.

Redmist,

Did you leave the upper tray that covers the gas tank or is it gone too?

- Eric

Doesn't it usually take two cans to fix a flat? Also, do any of you have a portable tire inflator, just in case? A portable, electric impact hammer would really top it off, too! Eliminating the carrier and stuff sounds like something cool to try. I'd hate to have to wrestle with a spare under the car, anyways.--Bullitt

Yikes! Two cans!!
When you start thinking you are pretty clever you shortly do something to prove otherwise. Thanks Bullitt.

Yes, I have removed the top cover as well.

redmist -- Yes, I have removed the top cover as well.

I just did the same to mine.
Have you left your spare carrier off this whole time?
Any drawbacks?

;shrug ;shrug ;shrug

JASON *** BRAND NEW MAGNECOR WIRES FOR SALE!!! *** 1979 L-82

i have a full size 225/ 60 -15 tire in my spare tire compartment and it fits just fine. sits in there nice and snug so it doesn't move around.

What I meant was...

I removed the tub that carries the spare.
And I wanted to know if anyone has done this and left it like that for an extended amount of time.

I have a 79 so I can put a spare behind the seats.
I just dont like the way the back looks with it installed.

When I bought my '78, the guy never had the spare down. He didn't know what key to use:eyerole. When I figured it out, I have the factory spare rim & tire:cool. I'll keep that for shows, but I'm going to get another rim & tire for driving around.

Flats>

Thank goodness I've never hat to fix a flat on my Vette. I've had nails and the such in the tread to repair but luckly never a flat on the road. I just don't see how that little scissor jack could lift my 81 high enough to remove a rear wheel...not with how far the suspension drops.

Weight Ratio

Does removing the spare tire screw up the intended front to rear weight ratio?! Just curious. I always carry fix a flat as well, otherwise it's AAA. I also can't see messing with the under-the-car tire on the side of the road.

- Jeremy

Yes, the scissors jack will raise it high enough, just barely (had to bleed the rear brakes in a Walmart parking lot once. I did run with out a spare for awhile. It did seem to change the balance of the car a little and the difference in handling was noticable. I did put the unused spacesaver back in and I laid it on a piece of heater hose so it snugged up good and didn't rattle.,

It wasn't a big difference, More bounce and a bit more oversteer. Felt lighter in rear. Could't say if it was better or worse... never really put it to the hard drive test. You should try it and give us your results.

40 pounds in that location does make it feel different though.

Re: Weight Ratio

Ludigdrums said:
Does removing the spare tire screw up the intended front to rear weight ratio?!

Of course it will be lighter in the back, but I guess the difference is not that big if you consider how the overall load of the car can differ (car with a thin driver and empty gas tank VS. a car with a fat driver and a fat passenger and full tank).

What is the front/rear weight ratio of a C3, anybody knows?

Well, Interesting thing happened today. I had to remove the spare tire in order to remove this custom muffler cover so I could put new mufflers on. Much to my surprise...I DON'T HAVE ONE!!! So, I guess I already know how it feels without the weight of the spare. Just don't know what it's like with one. Oh well...I guess that it made up my mind for me already! Heh heh...

- Jeremy

I have a factory spare from an 80 f/s if you are interested. They are not as big as the regular tires but not as small as the newer donut either. I do think this one has ever been on the road.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom