Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire size?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
For the hell of it, I decided to pull the spare tire and see just how old it really was. Date code brings it to 1997. Yikes... I need to get a new one on there. The size on it right now is P205/75R15, which I believe is the stock size. Any reason to deviate from that size? I have a spare wheel for my Corvette... think I can get a full-size spare to fit in the tray?

How about recommendations for tires in the P205/75R15 size? Tire rack only has a few sizes listed, with only the Kumho Solus KR21 being not a truck/SUV/winter tire. Thanks!

-Tatortot

I have to admit that the spare has never been out of my wife's L81. I assume it's the same size as the tires on the ground. That being the case, two different tires were offered. Standard were 225/70/15 raised white letter and optional were 255/60/15 outline white letter.

Tom

No, the stock spare was definitely a smaller size, apparently starting in '78. The door sticker says P195/80D15 (see attached pic). Upon further research a full-size tire will fit in the tray (I've always just thrown it in the back), but the tray will hang a good bit lower, so should only be used to carry a flat for short distances.

-Tatortot

Corvettedoorsticker_zpsf673667f.jpg

That's interesting. I have never paid any attention to that. The 195/80 must be about the same diameter as the road tires so the car will drive right. Have you checked this?

Tom

Yes, they are about the same diameter, but obviously much narrower.

And I decided to look up a P195/80D15 tire and there are NONE available, so looks like I'll have to stay with the P205/75R15 after all.

Thanks for the input!

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom