Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire

dwalc0604

Corvette
1980 Mellow Yellow
Hello, I have been searching for a spare tire for my 1980 Corvette for a while and haven't been able to come up with the "donut" spare. I am having new tires installed and I am considering keeping one of the old tires as a spare if I can find a suitable (cheap) rim. My question is, will the spare tire carrier support the weight of a full-size tire? Thanks.

Yes. Most years of 63 to 82 Corvettes had a full-size spare. Measure the depth of the carrier and compare it to the width of your tires. A 225/70 should go in there. You could check the salvage yard for a 15 inch GM wheel (5 by 4.75 bolt pattern with an identical center hole size to your car. Then buy a cheap 15" tire that is the same diameter as the tires on the road (narrower width doesn't matter on a spare) in case you need to put it on the rear. Positraction needs both rear tires to be close to the same diameter.

Tom

Yes. Most years of 63 to 82 Corvettes had a full-size spare. Measure the depth of the carrier and compare it to the width of your tires. A 225/70 should go in there. You could check the salvage yard for a 15 inch GM wheel (5 by 4.75 bolt pattern with an identical center hole size to your car. Then buy a cheap 15" tire that is the same diameter as the tires on the road (narrower width doesn't matter on a spare) in case you need to put it on the rear. Positraction needs both rear tires to be close to the same diameter.

Tom
Tom, thanks for your response, very helpful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom