Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spark plug preference

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
Okay who likes there spark plugs?
Any one plug perform better than stock AC Delco?
What are you using?

Bosch Platnium +4's I noticed a difference from the NGK's that were in there when I bought the car.

Also Bosche Platinum +4's. Don't know how much improvement is due to the plug itself or just the fact that it needed new plugs. $6 each isn't too bad either, IMHO - new OEM NGKs for my Legacys cost $17 each!

[RICHR]

Bosch platinum +4's in the 84 and the ZR-1. The only problem was they could not reference them to the AC #'s they listed them by year, model, and motor. Which means you will get the stock heat range. In other words they didn't have any choices. At least not at NAPA or Auto Zone. I'm sure they have choices if they could just figure out how to cross reference. But they do seem to work fine.

I use NGK's.

Bosch Platinum for me. Last two cars did 80-100k w/o replacement. I changed them 'cause I just had to. Didn't need to. When I removed them they were clean as a pin. Amazing...I did not notice much gap wear!

Ted

I use the AC Delco at the moment, but I'm looking into a nitrous-oxide setup and I'll need some non-platinum plugs for that. Does anyone have any suggestions for non-platinum (autolite perhaps)?

Why non-platinum for N2O? I have +4's in mine and don't plan to change for a 100hp shot. It will be running NA for 99% of the time and don't see the need to change for 1% ofthe time.

Most of the Nitrous Companies, and Nitrous Racers that I talk to say non-platinum plugs are a must. The two reasons I got (and I don't know which is more true) was #1 the platinum likes to flake off with N2O use #2 it makes "reading" the plugs harder for nitrous tuning. At any rate, the company I'm going with (Nitrous Xpress) says non-platinum.

Trance_LT4 said:
I use the AC Delco at the moment, but I'm looking into a nitrous-oxide setup and I'll need some non-platinum plugs for that. Does anyone have any suggestions for non-platinum (autolite perhaps)?

Try "NGK TR55" plugs, they are copper, not platinum.
NGK also has a platinum tipped plug numbered TR55?? it has two letters after the 55, it's the one the auto parts store will try to sell you. You must ask for the TR55 by name.

What about wires?

I am needing this service on mine (plugs and wires).

So far Bosch platinum +4's seem to be the leading the votes around here. Any ignition noise problems??

MIke

Plug wires

Topless, for spark plug wires the TPIS wires get my vote, but there are other good ones out there. You can check them out at www.tpis.com

Thanks. I will check it out.

MIke

:r I use tr6 ngk in my 1994 conv with nos 75 shot set at 35 ths
its ok for the drags but it causes a slight mis fire when cold
in am.
mods msd 6al ign spark retard barry grant nos plate and bottles
25 lb
air foil hyperteck trans and rear tuning.
( no engine tuning with hyper puke it will dust your motor on nos )
nitto DR 11" zr1 wheel auto 4l60e trans.
throttle body by pass
12:528 1.934 60 foot 111.33 1/4
the car goes side ways most of the time its the nature of the beast good luck!
:_rock

Re: Plug wires

vettl83 said:
Topless, for spark plug wires the TPIS wires get my vote, but there are other good ones out there. You can check them out at www.tpis.com

with nos you need a steel plug so it does not ping!!!!
plat burns to hot and after burn with nos will cause a ping
I use msd 8.5 plug wires they fit in the looms.:CAC

redc4corvette said:
:r I use tr6 ngk in my 1994 conv with nos 75 shot set at 35 ths
its ok for the drags but it causes a slight mis fire when cold
in am.
mods msd 6al ign spark retard barry grant nos plate and bottles
25 lb
air foil hyperteck trans and rear tuning.
( no engine tuning with hyper puke it will dust your motor on nos )
nitto DR 11" zr1 wheel auto 4l60e trans.
throttle body by pass
12:528 1.934 60 foot 111.33 1/4
the car goes side ways most of the time its the nature of the beast good luck!
:_rock

Hey red,

What are your times without the shots? (just want to know what could I expect with a 75 shot)

vettered91 said:
Hey red,

What are your times without the shots? (just want to know what could I expect with a 75 shot)
:v
1994 corvette stock no mods at all
13:846
60ft 2.042
and
100.21 top speed
with mods
k&n filter
air foil
nitto drag 17 by11
nos fuel addative
msd 6al
new coil new water pump & opti-spark
retard advanced 7 deg
msd retard advance unit
the claw k&n
81degrees humity at 79%
tr6 plugs
no juice
and with the tires you have to do a 10 minute burn out even stock or the car will go side ways
at the track everyone says i should have a trophy for going side ways all the time.
I have a vigalante torque converter for the car but havent put it in
the mang of the track is putting in the roll bar he said at 13:99
it should have been installed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom