Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark Plug removal

F

FordNoMore!

Hello all! Does anyone have a idea on how to remove the spark plugs on a 92 LT1,the passengers side seems to look feasable, but the drivers side looks like a nightmare, I really dont want to pay a dealer to do it, Im sure they have some special tool that makes it easy for tight places removal, Ive seen some spark plug wrench called the Sidewinder speedwrench,does it work for these applications. Thanx for the input

This may sound strange but if you have only 25k why replace I myself have went 100k before a change and only the spark plug gap had widened. Plugs could have been regapped and put back in only my two cents worth.

Welcome to the wonderful world of changing plugs:hb It usually takes a week for my back to straighten out;help I use no special tools but I have seen the sidewinder. I'm sure others who have it will chime in.:w

I have found that removing the center part of the wheel well makes getting at the pass. plugs much easier, you can use a long extension to get at the #2 and #4 which are the hardest. Still a pain but not as bad, the more you do it the easier it is, but the first time is a real PIA. I am not sure if your 92 is the same as my 91 but removing the wheel well may help.
Good luck.

plugs

I changed mine about 90,000 miles ago, the sidewinder was very helpful. You may need to remove few air lines and inner fenders what the hell get a 12 pack and have fun, save money and feel proud

Pedro:beer

Try from underneath the car!

Remove the 3-bolts that hold the "ASR" in place and move it out of the way.

Remove the center section of the wheel wells on both sides, (by the tops of the shocks)

Assemble assorted extensions, u-joints, ect..., to reach them.

I assure you, it is possible :upthumbs

I have a tip that works pretty good for getting the new plugs started in the holes. Make an extension out of fuel line hose. Push the spark plug in to a piece of fuel line hose. The hose is flexible enough, and yet firm enough to get the plug in position and threads started without crossing them. Once the plug is started pull the hose off. It works great in tight spaces. Dont forget some anti sieze on the threads.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom