Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Spark Plug Replacement

D

drkoneck

I have a 1972 with a 350. I'm trying to replace spark plugs. I can get one bank, just not the other due to the A/C compressor in the way. Is there anyway to do it in your garage with somewhat ease without having to go to a shop? Thanks!

I have a 1972 with a 350. I'm trying to replace spark plugs. I can get one bank, just not the other due to the A/C compressor in the way. Is there anyway to do it in your garage with somewhat ease without having to go to a shop? Thanks!

It's been a long time since I have done one, but if I remember correctly I went through the inner fender well. Jack the front of the vehicle up and either turn the front wheel full lock left or right (better yet remove the wheel for better access) and you should be able to access the plugs through the inner fender.

It's been a long time since I have done one, but if I remember correctly I went through the inner fender well. Jack the front of the vehicle up and either turn the front wheel full lock left or right (better yet remove the wheel for better access) and you should be able to access the plugs through the inner fender.

Thats the way I did it. Make sure you are careful. You don't want the car dropping while you have your arm in there.

Jim

Thats the way I did it. Make sure you are careful. You don't want the car dropping while you have your arm in there.

Jim

Support the car on jack stands while you do that or, better yet, use a long 3/8-drive extension and a spark plug flex socket. That way you don't have to reach very far.

I have a '72. I used to have to go in from the fenderwell just as the others have mentioned. Took out the AC so now no problems.

I have a 71 350 w/ac and Power brakes. I used to have an oil fouling situation so I did this a lot. I used craftsman 3/8 drive and a 3or4inch extension on some and only the spark plug socket on others. I was able to get to all of them from the top of the engine. Under the AC was the hardest but you just have to feel around. Use some thin gloves to protect knuckles if you slip. Good luck!!

Spark Plugs

Found it easier to just jack the front-end up, supported with jack stands to get to the #5,7,6 & 8 plugs.
Plugs #1,3,2 & 4 can be reached from the top.

Popping the spark plug cable from the plugs is also easier from under the car where there is more room.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom