Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark plug wire replacement on 1980

king80vette

Corvette
1980 Blue Coupe
I’m replacing the spark plug wires on my 1980. Does the engine need to be jacked up to get them between the block and the engine mount? It looks like the starter needs to be removed to get the wires through on the passenger side. Is this true? If so is there anything I should be carefully of when removing the starter? Like shims or alignment.

what i did was took the boot off ran the wire behind it and slid the boot back on, make sure you do 1 wire at a time, they are diff. lenth, and they have to be the right size, to fit how they are ment to, if they are matched up right they would fit under the shelds.

Yep, take your boots off and run them between the motor mounts. Use your 2 longest wires for # 2 and #4 cylinders.
They probably wont fit all the way down the shield by themselves without taking the sheilds off on the passenger side because they usually get hung up on the dipstick tube and dont make the upward turn after that. Disconnect the battery before removing the starter. Remove the inspection cover for the torque converter and then remove the grounded shield from the front of the starter. After that you can remove the two large bolts that hold the starter on. All you need to do is slide it towards the outside of the car, then you will have enough room to run the wires the rest of the way down the wire shield. Plan on about 4-5 Hrs. There's a lot of up and down work to get them routed up the back of the motor.

Certainly not very "user friendly" are they ?? It would certainly seem that should have been better engineered.....thank goodness it doesn't need regular replacement !
CQRT in AZ

-does stainless-braided obviate need for SB/Ign.-shields?

;help-wondering if anyone is using the " '75-'82 Hi-temp Stainless-Braided Sparkplug Wire set" @ $70/CorvetteCentral (pg.-61); -if so do these nifty looking wires effectively block AM-radio static (FM probably static-free?), or are the pesky oem/Ign.shields still necessary (perhaps just a shield around the distributor alone would sufice with these metal-braided wires?). Also wonder if there is any good/bad -effect on the spark-quality by using these metal-braided Ign.wires? --should the braiding be grounded to shield better? Any experienced feedback welcomed... ~Bob Vonheck

Sheesh, I don't remember going through all that trouble to replace them on my 81. Can't imagine 80 and 81 being all that different..... perhaps it is because my hands are smaller...;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom