Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spark plugs

No disrespect but you might out to read up on what has actually changed in spark plugs over the years. :confused I am skeptical also of the pulstarplug plugs and their claims but their have been many advances in technology. It is possible they may have some plus side to them how much who knows. To save a large explanation you can read a unbiased report on sparkplug history here. :)

Against my better judgement, I'll comment.

I read the article quoted above and did not see any evidence of a 'new generation' plug allowing an engine to either make more power or to cut back on fuel consumption. Same as all the other technical articles on the subject.

Yes, they last longer (100,000K+ miles) but I've owned my Corvette since 1990 and have put only a fraction of that on it. I'll need to live to at least the age of 139 to break even on the added cost of superduper plugs.

As John said, once the flame is lit, it makes no difference. The stock plugs do an excellent job of lighting the flame.

I have to agree. After further reading, it seems that a plug is a plug. Some plugs will last longer (platinum), but there is no need to put them in my car. Now the plugs on some of the newer cars are so hard to reach that I would use platinum plugs just so i don't have to reach them.

Think of a stick of dynamite. It is loaded with TNT and there is a fuse. Nothing you do to the fuse will make the dynamite more powerful.

Now think of your engine. The air/fuel mixture is the TNT, and the spark plug is the fuse. No matter what spark plug you use, it isn't going to change the potential energy in the air/fuel.

I bought basic AC Delco plugs for $2.50 each.

Thanks everyone!

No disrespect but you might out to read up on what has actually changed in spark plugs over the years. :confused I am skeptical also of the pulstarplug plugs and their claims but their have been many advances in technology.

I spent 38 years with GM and Chrysler, with a good hunk of that in Powertrain Engineering; the only advances in basic technology in spark plugs since 1910 has been improved materials for durability, and most of that is really due to the use of unleaded fuel, not whizbang spark plugs. If those plugs did 10% of what they claim for them, the OEM's would be all over them like ugly on an ape; they're no different than the Tornado FuelSaver, the miracle nuclear-magnetic fuel molecule straightener, and the latest entry in the motorist ripoff derby, the MagCharger. :eyerole;LOL

...they're no different than the Tornado FuelSaver, the miracle nuclear-magnetic fuel molecule straightener, and the latest entry in the motorist ripoff derby, the MagCharger. :eyerole;LOL

John, it seems those same products add lots of power to these cars...

ricer.jpg

:L

I spent 38 years with GM and Chrysler, with a good hunk of that in Powertrain Engineering; the only advances in basic technology in spark plugs since 1910 has been improved materials for durability, and most of that is really due to the use of unleaded fuel, not whizbang spark plugs. If those plugs did 10% of what they claim for them, the OEM's would be all over them like ugly on an ape; they're no different than the Tornado FuelSaver, the miracle nuclear-magnetic fuel molecule straightener, and the latest entry in the motorist ripoff derby, the MagCharger. :eyerole;LOL

:w:w:wYou know that's why they invented Snake Oil Medicine, to treat people like me. Do you have any Ocean Front Property in Arizona you would like to sell me. I probably would buy it. I have sucker tattooed to my forehead:duh,but this is what the CAC is all about with people like you coming to the rescue when we need it. Thanks for the input, and I hope your information is heeded.:upthumbs Scott:beer

Since A/C Delco makes Rapidfires, are they good or "Hype?"

What's a MagCharger? Is that like a Mc Muffin?:boogie

1966 , Ad.

Thought this Ad from march 1966, Car and Driver, may be interesting to some of you, regards.

Thought this Ad from march 1966, Car and Driver, may be interesting to some of you, regards.

So, so, so, so, you're saying that some companies advertise their products? :eek And they claim that their own product is BETTER than they other guys?

Nah, why would they do that? Maybe to try and sell them?

Times sure don't change. :chuckle

John, it seems those same products add lots of power to these cars...

ricer.jpg

:L

My personal favorite would be the aerodynamically placed rear spoiler for the exceptional downforce you'll experience and the noise maker (bean can) for torque....:boogie

Based on an SAE Paper I read, I think there is some credible theory behind the "Pulstar" spark plug, but how the idea works in practice is, in my opinion, still in need of proof.

A lot of the stuff sold by Bosch, like those plugs with more than one ground electrode, is marketing BS.

Right now, I think the best stuff, regardless of cost, is the Denso Iridium Power line. This is what I use in all my Corvettes and in most of my DD's except the 07 HHR (only because I've yet to change them). I've been using Densos since the company introduced the Iridium Power brand a couple of years ago.

Also good are NGK's TRxxx type plugs.

Even the AC Rapidfire is pretty good.

I spent 38 years with GM and Chrysler, with a good hunk of that in Powertrain Engineering; the only advances in basic technology in spark plugs since 1910 has been improved materials for durability, and most of that is really due to the use of unleaded fuel, not whizbang spark plugs.

1910 eh? Next we'll be hearing that points are better than electronic ignition too...:crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom