Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speed Channel

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
I love that channel. Lots of great shows, the only one that drives me crazy is Pinks. I thought the premise sounded great, but the way they do it I think is dumb.

I love watching the Barrett Jackson auction and I can't wait til Tuesday for the new ones.
I loved that bus they sold. The GM stage bus. I forget the guys name who bought that and a lot of other cars, but rumor is he will open a museum - I think he lives in AZ.

Your right speed channel is great and pinks drives me nuts to.I had an offer to go to the auction las year but it's a little rich for my blood.

it would be fun to go and watch thats for sure! I would be happy just to get a program of the cars :)

the best whiner wins on Pinks. Sorta out of touch with reality till you read the fine print. it is sort of like throw it all in a pot and you split 50/50 at the end. Barret Jackson has it by the balls tho. they nag a guy into buying a 50K car for 150K then sock him with another 8% sales commission. No wonder they luv those million dollar sales.the commission they get on one of those is more than I made the last 3 years all together.

Agree !00%.

Pinks = listening to guys whine and watch 3 - 12 sec. races.

BJ is cool. Generally waaaaaay overpriced (over bid?) but I have seen some real neat cars go for very reasonable prices.

One variant show born out the Pinks show is All-Out. I do enjoy All-Out much more than pinks. All-Out is basically bracket racing, and once the fastest times are established, if on the next pass you beat your own time, then you're out.

It's almost like being at the local track watching bracket racing, but while siting in your own Lazy Boy, with beer on hand, and you can control the volume.

They had the pilot show, and the last I heard about it, is that it is a go. Should start soon.

GerryLP:cool

Barret Jackson has it by the balls tho. they nag a guy into buying a 50K car for 150K then sock him with another 8% sales commission. No wonder they luv those million dollar sales.the commission they get on one of those is more than I made the last 3 years all together.

The price of playing has gone up - this year the commissions are 10%. :)

I went out to BJ last year strictly as an observer. I thought it was great. The actual block and bidding had little or no interest to me. The bids were outrageous and the whole show was a carnival. What I did love was to walk the site and look at the car. There were about 10 tents alongside the main auction tent that held all the cars that were scheduled to go to the block.

I was there on Thursday so most of the cars were waiting to go to the block. Many had their owners along side and I spoke to some of them. Lots of great cars and people. Some of these people were very aprehensive since they were waiting for their baby to go on the block at a no reserve auction. Now that could be scary.

I talked to a guy who was concerned because his 49 Lincoln was scheduled early Friday morning and he feared the crowd would be small and the car not bring money. He had spent 5 years restoring it and it was going to be gone in 3 minutes on the block. I never followed up to see what he got. Many of the sellers were regular Joe's who had one or 2 cars that they put their heart and soul into and then hauled them down to Scottsdale to hope for the best.

BJ is like a cash machine for these guys. 8% sellers fee, 8% buyers fee on each car and then they charge about $50 just to get in and look around. They had thousands of people there Friday and I bet Saturday and Sunday were worse. I don't know what it costs to register as a bidder but I bet they charge for that also.

Bottom line"Don't miss it." It was a great experience to see it in the flesh. I can now watch it on TV and really appreciate it.

Wow I can't believe the buyer and seller both pay a premium - that makes ebay look reasonable ;-)
$50 to get in is a fair amount - i take it thats for as many days as you want. Considering what it costs to see a sporting event thats pretty decent.

$50 for one day only admission. It was worth it but who would have thought you could charge $50 to go watch an auction and still draw huge crowds?

I sure hope that 50 Bucks was for all your beer and eats and at least a half hour with a hot red head otherwise you got shafted. Personally I have never heard of any kind of auction worth paying any amount to watch. guess i would rather take 4 kids to the movies for my 50.

I agree. I was visiting my brother in AZ. but when I had to fork over the money I was tempted to leave but I had come that far and was so close I just went ahead and paid it. Once you are there and look around see the cars, talk to the people and have a good time it eases the pain somewhat. But it is still a lot of money to see a car show and watch an auction.

The guy that bought the bus is a curator for a mesuem in Az.He is not the one that owns the meauem.

I sure hope that 50 Bucks was for all your beer and eats and at least a half hour with a hot red head otherwise you got shafted.
Can you get all that for $50 in SD??? I'M ON THE WAY!!!!!

....I talked to a guy who was concerned because his 49 Lincoln was scheduled early Friday morning and he feared the crowd would be small and the car not bring money. He had spent 5 years restoring it and it was going to be gone in 3 minutes on the block. I never followed up to see what he got....

I wonder if it was the car that George Forman bought? He bought a '49 Lincoln or Cadillac.

GerryLP:cool

So any of you watching the auction? Okay I admit I have been watching American Idol up til 1op. These cars come and go so fast I can't even say what my favorite is.
The amphibian car (amphicar) was cool - there is one on ebay for sale. The first night I was surprised that some cars seemed to go cheaper than I thought they would.
The drapery thing falling on the Continental, after it was sold, was something!

Pinks, 50 seconds of racing stretched into 30 minutes. I'll turn the TV off before I watch that. There is more commercial time than racing!

There sure are a lot of vettes!
Some really beauties. Chevy's overall seem to do really well at these auctions.

I miss the WRC on Speed. That is some really awesome racing/driving. I'm a fan of Nascar as well, but Speed was the only place you could see any WRC. Now it isn't even broadcast in the US. :cry

As for the BJ Auction, well, I enjoy looking at all the cars knowing that the prices are inflated. I just enjoy the cars and wishing I could drive most of them.

Jim

it would be cool just to be the guy that drives the cars in and out :)

Well $5 million dollars for Carroll Shelbys own car. Holy cow.
The story behind that being the only one left out of two was amazing. The other one was bought by Bill Cosby who drive it once, was afraid of it and returned it. Another guy buys it, drives the car off a cliff into the ocean. Car and driver are both gone. I can't find anything that says if it was an accident or not.

Maybe Carroll Shelby can sign my vette ;-) I have to increase the value *somehow*

I was surprised that the last stingray didn't go for more. I do like the 67's so I was rooting for it to get to a million. I think the Orange County Chopper guys were bummed their rides didn't go for more, I was surprised too since they were "Shelby's".

Last day today, I hope. Years ago the ex and I went to Prince Edward Island and drove miles and miles of beautiful breath taking scenery. I got to the poing that it was like....oh look another beautiful ocean view. Its getting like that with the show, so many awesome cars, too many.

'sides Patriots are on at 4pm so I have to bail on the auction early. I like how football season ends and then its pretty much right into Nascar season :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom