Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedo cable trans hookup

vetzs

Corvette
64 Red Vert / 89 White Vert
I want to install a new speedo cable. I don't see being able to reach a hand in there to unscrew the cable. I'm about to remove the front exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold and it's cross memeber mount thinking this will help. Anybody have a better way?

I know it has been a long time since I replaced my speedo cable on my 64 but I remember replacing my cable without removing anything. Sorry for not giving any more info. Best of luck.
daryl

Daryl, I believe your correct..under normal circumstances. In my case the cable was screwed on really tight and I couldn't get any leverage to turn it. I did get luck tho. I happen to be in Harbor Freight and saw some Hose plyiers. It was a tight fit and I was only able to turn the cable nut a fraction at a time. However it was enough to free things up and I then could remove it with my fingers.

Dude, I couldn't help but laugh when I read this post. I recently just put my body back on the frame, was doing the little hook-ups one normally does. Then I encounter the speedo cable. I think I cussed myself for at least 30 mins for not putting that thing on first. I'm sure this is not a problem for those side pipe folks, but for all us others....thats a pain in the ###. I too finally got it on working it fragment by fragment. I actually used a very sharp screwdriver and one finger. The screwdiver would grab one of the treads, while my finger would apply the pressure. Anyway, just thought I'd share....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom