Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedo cable

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
OK, speedo cable crapped out this weekend. Probably the result of last weeks 3 laps at Darlington and the fact that its 29 years old tomorrow. Question is this cable a stock OTS part I can pick up at Advance, Parks, etc., or do I have to find one from a catalog? Also, anyone replaced one before? On a PITA scale from one to ten, where does this job fall?

Mike,

I've disconnected and reconnected my speedo cable before, and It isn't too much of a pain, depending on how big your hands are. Our speedos are still mechanical, and the cable runs from the rear of the speedometer guage, through a firewall grommet to the driver's side of the trans. It threads on into the trans and inside is the plastic speedometer drive gear that is designed to tell the speedo how fast you are going assuming stock overall tire width. Make sure you do not lose/break that gear, as most replacements just come with the cable. While you have it out check the gear for any wear, ie chipped teeth as it is only plastic. On the other end there is a clip on the rear of the speed that holds the cable in place, and will need to be disconnected before removing the cable from the rear of the guage. Depending on if you can fit your hands up behind the guages from underneath (If I remember correctly I had to lay on my back, half out of the car with my head by the pedals and a flashlight aimed up) the process shouldn't be too much of a PITA, otherwise you will have to disconnect the speedo/tach cluster from the dash to get to the back of the guages. That still isn't too much of a pain, and definetly can be done in an afternoon. I checked my corvette central catalog, and found part numbers 213065 and 213067 for 4spd and auto trans respectively. Both are priced at 23.95. If you have cruise control you will have an upper and lower cable and those are part numbers 213005 and 213075. I find their shipping takes longer than I'd like (usually about a week), but they have always seem to have all the little misc parts mid america doesn't sell (though I believe most major suppliers will sell this item). Anyway, I usually find the generic parts stores won't even sell most items for our cars anymore. By the way, you may as well replace the firewall grommet while you're at it, part number 212104, 8 bucks. Also there should be a little retainer clip somewhere along the route for the cable, which may have rusted off long ago, but if you still have it I would hook up the new one to it. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jrod​

I'd just call the parts store to see if they stock one and/or take the old on in to match up.

I pulled mine out to lube it a few years ago with little trouble. The book said to remove the dash or some such nonsense. If I remember correctly, I just reached up and felt around until I found the connector and was able to get it out and back in.

God bless, Sensei

Thanks Jrod and Sensei. I will try to get the old one out this weekend. My fear is that the plastic gear is tore up. We shall see.

Here's what I think I know so far. I have the cruise option (K35) so I have an upper and lower cable. I disconnected the upper cable from the transducer and when I twist it manually, I can get action on the speedo. First question: Is there supposed to be anything on the end of the upper cable? Mine is just the end of the cable and it fits into the transducer. Does this little twist test mean the upper cable is still good? My cruise wasn't working very well when I got bought the car 4 years ago. It would set and hold, but the speed pulsed up and down quite a bit. Should I suspect the transducer as part of this problem as it seems to be an element of continuity between the upper and lower cables? I haven't had a chance to get the car up in the air yet to check the lower cable at the trans. What options do I have if the plastic gear is damaged? Right now I'm looking at ordering a lower cable and maybe a new transducer (grommet looks good and don't know about the lower clip yet). Open to any and all wisdom.

95% change your lower cable is damaged right where it takes a 90 degrees corner into your transmission. Mine was about to break so that is why I think this. My transducer also has the same problems and I would like to know what the problem is there to so keep us updated.

Groeten Peter

sad but comical update

The sad part is I really haven't had a chance to mess with the speedo cable. The comical part is that I went out and bought a 2008 coupe so I didn't have to. The best part is I still have the '81 and the wife likes driving it now, soooo.....I get the '08 and she gets the '81. The reality is I REALLY have to fix the dang speedo cable now. The moral is....you can run, but you can't hide. BTW, if you haven't driven a C6, it should be on your bucket list.

I changed mine a few years ago.
they aren't bad just a PIA!!!!
Good luck!!!!

Heh... I just started removing things from my engine compartment (going to clean and replace vacuum plumbing) and found that my cruise xducer/modulator is completely disconnected - no speedo cables connected at all...:ugh

Something else to find now. I'm subscribing to this thread to keep those PNs handy. :)

I replaced my lwr cable at the end of last summer. I was able to buy it at AdvanceAuto for around 15 bucks. My transducer is not connected at all I have some type of aftermarket adapter that the cable screw on to. If you need a new cable drive gear just make sure the new one is the same color as the old one and you will be fine. Good Luck....Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom