Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

speedo cable

cscarlson

Corvette
2003 50Th Corvette
My speedometer quit working on my road trip and and i impervised to get home. now i have read some threads on speedo cables and my question is , i have cruise control and the cruise quit working about a year ago, could this cable going to my speedometer be why the speedometer isn't working?

:confused :confused

Yes. My cruise quit working and then shortly thereafter the transducer (the unit that the speedo cable goes through near the master cylinder) locked and broke the plastic end off the cable, the trans side if I recall correctly.

Replaced both of these parts, made sure all of the vacuum lines were connected and replaced the chain from the end of the throttle cable to the vacuum unit and everything worked again.

Vmrod has posted an excellent PDF file here that shows how all of this is tied together.

Bob

BOBCHAD...

looked at my bottom connection point on the transducer and when we spoke last night i thought the cable broke and it was the stop on the cable, it's not it's part of the transducer ring thats outside the circle housing the top connection is not like this, what do you think,,, i haven't looked at the connection to the trans. but i took a pair of plier]s and tried to pull the cable out an dcouldn't

advice??

I took a look at my AIM, Service Manual and Chilton's (rmember this is for a 77) and while there is nothing substantial really there on the cable, there was some suggestion that the lower cable might need to be be removed from the bottom. Perhaps the transmission end is larger than the sheath to prevent the torque from pushing it up and out towards the top of the car. At this point if it were me I would jack up the car and do so.

Here is a scan of the page in my AIM showing the connection and disassembly of the lower speedo connection. Download it by rightclicking on the open pictures and selecting "Save Picture As" so you can use an image editor to make it larger and more readable. Here is a link to the free one I was mentioning last night that makes resizing digital pictures so easy.

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

Bob

Not totally like mine. does the two connections on the tranducer look the same on the outside? the bottom one on mine has looks poped out and the top one not. how do i know if the transducer id bad?

CS,

This is not the transducer. This is the connection to the transmission.

I would guess you will need to take it out and play with it.

If your bottom cable has broke it is almost a guarantee.

Bob

IF THE CABLE TO THE TRANSMISSION ISN'T BROKEN.. does it mean the transducer is oksy or not or does it always break the cable. what clues beside the cable being broke do we have?

I don't what the most common break in the transducer will produce. Mine locked and when it locked it broke the bottom cable. If the gears just failed I guess it could not connect the upper and lower cable.

Bob

Thanks for being a friend a helping me with the speedo problem. i believe that the transducer is bad and autozone here sells them for 60.00 dollars , but it is a special order item, no surprise there, like everything else i need now, oh well thanks a nd i will be back with more info.

CS,

My pleasure to help. I'm sure you will reciprocate.

The $60 is cheap insurance. If it ain't broke now, it's a common proble on these cars and likely will fail on you sometime in the future.

Good luck.

Bob

I crawled under the car yesterday and saw the connection to the transmission , but it is in a hard to get area, i need some car ramps to get to it... i am suppost to be taking the vette in this week to have the hydralic lifters adjusted and i will have the mechanic check the cable at the transmission end, will keep you informed on the progress ....

cs,

You can also check to see if the gear has fallen out or is stripped fairly easily. Just remove the cable from the transmission and if the gear is still attached, remove it. Then use an automatic drill and spin the inner cable in reverse. If the speedo moves then something is wrong inbetween the cable and transmission (i.e. the speedo gear), if it doesn't move then you know something is wrong from the cable to the spedometer.

Russ

got a new transducer , the bottom connection on the transducer seems like there is something missing. is there a piece that goes on the cable that goes into the bottom connection on the transducer?

I'd have to pull my AIM to give you specifics but as a I recall there was a part that went inside the transmission, that included the seals, and the whole thing screwed in place.

not inside the transmission, inside the transducer , bottom connection...

thanks

Sorry. As I recall the flat sided end (square ?) of the cable goes into the tranducer and the end of the cable sheathing has a screw on nut that holds it in place.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom