Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

speedo cables

aerie1761

Corvette
1981 & 2002
I installed new speedo cables on my 81 vette . Im having needle bounce pretty much at all speeds . I have tried to lube them . Any suggestions. Thanks

speedo cable + cable housing

Not sure what problem was before you replaced cable (only) ?
If you are real sure that each square end of cable is fitted correctly then you may be replacing the whole cable assembley housing and all. Pull the connection from transmission, use an electric drill, hook end of cable to drill and spin it. If problem is still there at speedo-head good chance I'm right. Me and Bud just did his cable, new housing complete, in July on RARE 81 we also had that needle flicking at various speeds. Let me know if you the complete housing & cable already, good luck.

Speedo Cables

Since you said cables I take it your car has cruise control and you have two cables, one from the tranny to the transducer and another from the transducer to the speedometer. Sometimes the transducer itself is the problem. I don't have cruise so I'm not sure if the transducer can be fixed or if you have to replace it.

Good Luck

Mine bounced for years until I took the transducer out of the equation. The needle is now smooth as silk all the way to the peg. Of course I have no cruise anymore but who cares; it never worked very good anyway.

............ Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom