Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SPEEDO CONVERSION

Corvette
is corvette central reliable to do my speedo conversion from 85mph to 165mph? anybody had it done by them? thanks

:w Chief Welcome aboard ;)

Several... MANY of us with the 85 mph speedo have change them out for a 140 mph speedo and most of us have used Red Line Gauges. A little phone call to "John" (owner and operator) of Red Line Guages convinced a whole herd of us to make the switch.

Here are a couple of past Threads about the conversion. The second one address's Auto Transmission Questions ;)

140mph Speedometers "Original Thread"

140mph Speedometer "Questions Thread'

Bud

OUT OF BUSINESS

looks like this red-line guy is out of business. just called, disconnected. if you have any input on corvette central, let me know, i'm leaning towards them. i would hate to get burned, and i dont think they want a 300 lb man on their doorstep. hehehe

John at Redline is NOT out of business,he recently converted mine to a 140 unit.

He is top notch all the way, His Phone # is 1(731) 868-4500.

Give him a call, the conversion runs about $103 or so,shipping included.

Later,Ken

Ken :w

Thanks for the update on John's phone number (731) 868-4500 ;)

Bud

Bud,

Glad to be of assistance.

I probably spent a good hour or so just BS'ing with him about stuff in general on the phone,real down to earth guy,one whom that after talking with him,you feel like you have known him for a long time.

That,in addition to the nice work that he does.

Later,Ken

Here is the link, for Redline Gauge and Clock Repair,

http://www.redlineg.com

http://www.redlineg.com

I too definitely recommend John. I think I was one of the first couple people from the CAC to have a conversion done by him. I went from the 85 to the 140. I was looking at doing the 165 unit, however there were two things that swayed me.
One was that the fonts between the tach and speedo were different. Or, they was a similiar font, but it just didn't look right with all the numbers crunched on the face.
Two, I had heard that the greater the range of these old mechanical speedos, the less accurate they are at given ranges. I don't recall if it's it's at the high or low speeds (or maybe both?).

Yeah, it would be nice to know how much above 140 I'm going, but I don't spend enough time there (*teardrop*) to warrant the 165 speedo. The 140 suits me fine. (I already know that I cap out around an honest 155mph.)
:upthumbs

I also recall that any of the major vette places wanted like $300 or something and John was doing the same or better job for like $100. And anyways, the vette places usually send out there stuff to a third party anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if John is the one that does 'em, but due to contractual obligations, can't say that. I know that MidAmerica or Ecklers or whomever contracts out their steering wheel resto-service, so I figure they probably do it with other conversions as well.

Corvette instrument Service out Florida

I just got my converted to 140 MPH using Corvette Instrument Service out of Palm Beach 561-627-9345. He did a great job and cost was $85 that was including Shipping. had back to me in Texas in 1 week.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom