Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SPEEDO FIXED SOMEWHAT

WONKABOY

A while back i posted my speedo broke while on the highway, this week i brought it to a shop to have it fixed, i picked it up Sat Morning ( garage mechanic not on duty sat) paid the gas attendent, i found out he changed the cable from the tranny to the ( non working cruise control ) well from 0 - 40 the needle is pinging a little but stays pretty much in the area where it supposed too, but it seems to eractic for me, as soon as you hit 45 and above it is normal smooth as a whistle, when it starts coming back down from 45 and above it starts all over again, why at low speed does this needle ping ( does not jump ) and at anything over 45 it is steady like a normal speedo, please give suggestions, i did not talk to the mechnic yet about it, i would hate to have him change the other cable to the dashboard and find out it's acts the same, by the way i said the cruise control does not work, you can tell it is a fairly new unit , i did not try it on the highway ( i forgot ) maybe it is a fuse, well that's another problem , i don't care if it works or not. Did anybody have this problem after the speedo cable(s) were replaced,? well at least my mileage indicater works again for oil changes i think i'm off by 300 miles, PLEASE HELP!! BEFORE I WASTE MY MONEY, I also guess i could live with the pinging , but the tack is so smooth and then you see the speedo needle acting that way it drives me up a wall!!!!!!!!!

WONKABOY said:
A while back i posted my speedo broke while on the highway, this week i brought it to a shop to have it fixed, i picked it up Sat Morning ( garage mechanic not on duty sat) paid the gas attendent, i found out he changed the cable from the tranny to the ( non working cruise control ) well from 0 - 40 the needle is pinging a little but stays pretty much in the area where it supposed too, but it seems to eractic for me, as soon as you hit 45 and above it is normal smooth as a whistle, when it starts coming back down from 45 and above it starts all over again, why at low speed does this needle ping ( does not jump ) and at anything over 45 it is steady like a normal speedo, please give suggestions, i did not talk to the mechnic yet about it, i would hate to have him change the other cable to the dashboard and find out it's acts the same, by the way i said the cruise control does not work, you can tell it is a fairly new unit , i did not try it on the highway ( i forgot ) maybe it is a fuse, well that's another problem , i don't care if it works or not. Did anybody have this problem after the speedo cable(s) were replaced,? well at least my mileage indicater works again for oil changes i think i'm off by 300 miles, PLEASE HELP!! BEFORE I WASTE MY MONEY, I also guess i could live with the pinging , but the tack is so smooth and then you see the speedo needle acting that way it drives me up a wall!!!!!!!!!

wonk........ the transducer is shot. Install a cable from the speedo to the tranny bypassing the transducer and your troubles will be over (but you won't have a cruise control either). Your choice.

(When) I tried doing what you're going through I changed out the transducer about every other year and it would go bad again; eat another cable insert and I finally got tired of the ordeal. the cable is $20 and a couple hours of your time.

........ nut

Nut said:
wonk........ the transducer is shot. Install a cable from the speedo to the tranny bypassing the transducer and your troubles will be over (but you won't have a cruise control either). Your choice.

(When) I tried doing what you're going through I changed out the transducer about every other year and it would go bad again; eat another cable insert and I finally got tired of the ordeal. the cable is $20 and a couple hours of your time.

........ nut

So your telling me the the pinging speedo is because of the cruise control?
The unit looks fairly new too, are you sure about this, a friend told me maybe the plastic piece in the tranny?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom