Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedometer Drive Gears??

a69vette

Corvette
1969 Triple Black Convertible: 2014 Crys Red Conv
I have just changed from a 4.11 to a 3.36. Using the toolbox calculator @3500 rpm my speed has went from 70mph to 85 mph. Problem is the speedo is way off. Looking in the parts catalog, I can get drive gears anywhere from 18 to 25 teeth. Which one do I need?? I don't know which one is in there now, but the speedo was acurate with the 4.11. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

a69vette,

No biggie, pull the speedo gear and count the teeth, easy job. Figure the percent of speed/gear change and match it to the tooth number in the new speedo gear. As an example, if you now have a 20 tooth gear you will need a 16 tooth gear to get the speed up to par. You will have to find out which one you have first, 18 sounds kind of large yet. I think I have them all the way down to 13 teeth. Let me know if you can't find one that works.

Dad, (Dad???)
It's been quite a while since I did a speedo recalibrate, but isn't there a relation ship where somewhere along the line you have to change the drive gear as well as the driven? I reset a midyear quite a while back and I remember changing both.
A_69, did you get find out where the trouble is in the speedo yet?

joevette57

If you're working in the tach/speedo drive, yes. If you work from the transmission, no. The gear shaft will flex enough to take up the centerline difference.

Dad, Thanks for the advice. I'll try to pull the gear out this weekend and see what it is.

Joevette57, No, I haven't found out why it is hanging up at 45mph and then works again above 60mph. One problem at a time (only enough money for 1 problem at a time).

Thanks alot. I'll let you all know.
Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom