Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedometer Face change

65stinger

Corvette
1965 Nassau Blue Conv
I just bought a new speedo face for my car and trying to figure out how to swap them out. I put a new tach unit in, but now I need to replace the face on my speedo to keep from having a shiny new tach and a dull speeo face. Basically what I need to know is how to remove the speedo arm without breaking it...?

The speedo needle just presses onto the shaft.

You have to be very careful when removing the needle as the shaft isn't very thick and you could cause damage.

I removed mine with a pair of pliers, very, very carefully, by slightly pulling up and moving the pliers side to side a slight bit.

Doug

I think I remember someone posting that they took a small piece of metal, added a 90 degree bend, and then cut a slot the size of the shaft. You can then pull straight up. I think they also recommended twisting slightly as you pull stright up.
Brian

Be carefull. There is also a very tiny washer under the needle. You do not want to lose it as there are NO replacements.

Don

We have plenty of washers. To remove the pointer, grasp the speedo head with your left hand. Then, using your thumb & index finger, grasp the pointer hub & turn counter clockwise ONLY while gently pulling it off the speed cup shaft. If it won't come off, then STOP, and send it to a shop. To install, reverse above procedure(install at 45mph and while turning CC to zero, push down).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom