Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Sponge/foam found on top of Transmission Bellhousing?

Mitch

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1978 Black Coupe
I'm a little dumbfounded here. I bought a very clean '78 vette (zero rust) a couple months ago and since then I have been meticulously detailing every nook and cranny to keep her that way--from the engine to the interior to the undercarriage. Today I was underneath and focused my lighting up into and above the Transmission Bellhousing--just where it meets the engine. I found a sponge /or a strip of foam (about an inch thick, eight inches long and maybe 4 inches wide) atop the bellhousing proportionately laid from the drivers side to the passenger side over the housing...(it's not really visable from either side unless you're keenly looking). It appears to be very old and dirty. I left it there undisturbed--not knowing WHY it is there...or WHAT it was or is intended for. I know this may sound dumb, but is there a good reason for the sponge/foam being there? Scatchin' ma head...I do that alot!!:)

I have a 69 vert with a 5sp. There is a tunnel foam insulation that sits between the top of the bellhousing and the tunnel. It's to keep the heat from going to the transmission and shifter. If yours is a stick, that's what it is. If an auto. should serve the same purpose I believe. Tony

I have a 69 vert with a 5sp. There is a tunnel foam insulation that sits between the top of the bellhousing and the tunnel. It's to keep the heat from going to the transmission and shifter. If yours is a stick, that's what it is. If an auto. should serve the same purpose I believe. Tony

Thanks, Tony! It's an automatic. Ya probably know what my initial thought was--that someone at one time or another was attempting to prolong an obvious oil leak/drip or something in order to sell the car. I think there was three previous owners--and the seniorly couple that I bought the car from seemed very honest and anwsered all of my never-ending questions to my satisfaction. Other than the foam thingy, so far I haven't had a reason to be suspicious or displeased at all!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom