Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spring replacement - HELP!

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
Im trying to replace the coil springs, but when i compress the spring and put it into place, I cant get the compressor head out. it gets stuck in there, and ive had to remove the spring 3 times, and I really need this thing to work. any ideas on how to get that pain in the a** out of there?

Derrick

I suggest reading the procedure in the shop manual. There is a way to do it without spring compressors. You're right, they don't come out. Basicly, you are going to chain the spring to the A arm and use the lower A-arm to compress it. Read the shop manual!!!!

Or use a length of 5/8" all-thread, a piece of steel plate, and nuts and washers, through the shock holes in the frame and lower control arm to compress the spring (and a length of chain through the spring for safety); works great!
:beer

Thanks for your help guys. I thought about rigging up something like what John Z has here, but i figured there would have to be a better way. I wrestled with that compressor for about 6 hours on Saturday before I decided to just leave it up to the pros on this forum.
The bummer, is that all my suspension had been taken down to bare metal, and it all had new fresh paint. Not any more...

oh well, thats why cars can be so frustrating, right?

Thanks again!

I made the tool that John shows and I think Chuck G posted on years ago.
The change I made was to use acme threaded rod from Mcmaster-carr it works better then the 60* thread. Same as used on sissors jacks.

GTR1999 said:
acme threaded rod from Mcmaster-carr.

Know where I can find something like that? Is it local hardware store, or do I have to find a specialty place for that?

JohnZ said:
Or use a length of 5/8" all-thread, a piece of steel plate, and nuts and washers, through the shock holes in the frame and lower control arm to compress the spring (and a length of chain through the spring for safety); works great!

John, nice photos. Have you posted these before? I understand the concept but the visual is bothering me. Can I assume that the plate goes on top of the spring and is used to compress it DOWN into the socket? I am great at repair and things like that but not at conceptualizing. ;)
Gary

GaryS said:
Can I assume that the plate goes on top of the spring and is used to compress it DOWN into the socket?

I'm pretty sure the plate goes just above the lower control arm. you run the threaded rod down through the top of the shock tower, and into the plate, then use a nut on the other side of the plate to hold it together. then tighen from the top...

John, please correct me if Im wrong, i havent had a chance to actually complete this yet...

JohnZ said:
I have the same Rigg'n And it works Great!!:upthumbs

With wheels off ground ... I simply backed the spindle/bj nuts off until there were just 2-3 threads holding them to ball joints ... then put just slight jack pressure under a lower CA ... then whacked the bj's loose w/ a pickle fork ... then removed bj nuts ... then GENTLY lowered the jack and the spring fell loose ... didn't fly out ... fell loose ... lifted spindle out followed by spring. Installed NEW OE-type moog springs exactly same way but in reverse. ... no chains, no compressors. Worked for me. Have plenty of jackstands under chassis ... I used 6. This was in a small block C3 w/ AC.
JACK:gap

dshanks said:
I'm pretty sure the plate goes just above the lower control arm. you run the threaded rod down through the top of the shock tower, and into the plate, then use a nut on the other side of the plate to hold it together. then tighen from the top...

John, please correct me if Im wrong, i havent had a chance to actually complete this yet...

That's correct! :)

I used the spring compressor with the arms made like a claw I caught hell getting them out Don't remember how other trhan I found a spot in the spring that I could slide it thru

Got it back together last night. this home-made device worked great.

I just got some allthread from the local hardware, welded the nut on the top, and had it back together in 30 minutes.

Thanks for all your help, you came through again!

Derrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom