Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

squeaking serpentine belt

tmkassin

Corvette
2009 LS3
;help1992 lt1 6 speed. When I run the air conditioning my belt squeaks. I have replaced the belt and idler pulley. If I rev it up a couple of times it stops. Air blows ice cold. Any ideas?

Maybe a weak belt tensioner........?
How many miles on the car? If it's the original tensioner, 17 years is a long time........
Andy

I said I replaced the idler pulley but I meant the tensioner...:ugh

I am guessing the idler pulley has had enough.

Try starting with that.

AFTER CHANGING OUT YOUR PULLEY, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

;help1992 lt1 6 speed. When I run the air conditioning my belt squeaks. I have replaced the belt and idler pulley. If I rev it up a couple of times it stops. Air blows ice cold. Any ideas?

Goodyear Gator Back belts seem to work better than "normal" ones when a squeak is hard to get rid of. The have them at Autozone.

CG

Silicone spray works better than wd-40 try that, if not, then a new belt.

I second the Silicone. I sprayed my belt on th eJeep and it quieted right down. The vette some but it wasnt to loud to start. Beware the idler!! I had one where the bearing locked up but the pulley continued to spin. It melted the plastic then simple fell off. The belt moved away and the battery stopped charging. Luckily I was close to my Sisters place where she could retrieve a pulley and I put it on beside the highway.

Okay guys..now you have lost me with the WD40 spraying on the belt. Wont that cause the belt to slip????? I have a squealling also but only after the engine has warmed up to running temp. Fine when its cold...
1990 Vert..(L98).
Inform me please!!!!!

Tried the silicone...didn't help. I too am concerned about using WD-40. I will try it and if it doesn't work I will go with the gatorback belt.

I would be looking at something going on with the crankshaft pulley. Sounds like the belt is slipping when you put extra load(air conditioner) on it. If you replace the belt,a good place to start , be sure to inspect all the pulleys. Have you been losing any coolant? A small amount of coolant on the belt could cause your problem.

Glenn
:w

Okay guys..now you have lost me with the WD40 spraying on the belt. Wont that cause the belt to slip????? I have a squealling also but only after the engine has warmed up to running temp. Fine when its cold...
1990 Vert..(L98).
Inform me please!!!!!

Would still like to know what WD-40 helps in stopping squealling when it is basically a lubricant. Never heard of this...please explain..
thanks
Bill

I honestly don't know how it works, but it does... Plus wd-40 evaporates so it won't cause harm...

I would check for worn sheaves either on the crank/vibration damper or at the AC compressor. Also, while this should not change (except see below), if the sheaves are not aligned, that can cause squealing.

Idea: Double check the crank vibration damper. If the rubber inside the damper fails, sometimes the crank sheave can shift forward or backward and cause the drive belt to be miss-aligned. That is a sure formula for squeals.

Radar

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom