Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Squeaky C5

• Thread starter Johnnykretentiv
  • Start date
J

Johnnykretentiv

Hey All -
My 99 has been squeaking a little at startup and while idling. After 10 min or so squeak went away. So I went out and got some stop squeak and gave it a few squirts and it went away bof about 2 min. Now it doesn't squeak at idle but it does squeell like crazy when accelerating. It's pretty embarassing :ugh.

Now I realized that belt dressing was the wrong thing to put on since it doesn't really work and is not supposed to go on serpentine belts.

I did a little more troubleshooting. I had my wife rev the car to the point of squeaking and I sprayed some water on the belt and the squeak did stop for a for seconds.

So I guess I need a new belt and maybe a tensioner. I'll start with the belt and see what happens.

That should be a pretty straight forward process, correct? Could anyone point me to a good set of instructions for replacing a serp. ac belt.

If you have other suggestions please let me know.

FYI 40K on this car.

Thanks

BTW - Here are inst for a C4. They should be similar to a C5 right. I gotta get a GM Book.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001/april/serpentine/serpentpg1.asp

Thank you Goodyear! I pulled the serpentine belt off using a 15 mm rachet on the tensioner, tested all the pullys (all were smooth as butter), then replaced with a gatorback. It took all of 10 minutes.

The silence is deafening!!!

Non technical types - do this bit or work yourself. Chevy Dealer was going to charge me $120 for a belt and install!!! I did it for $24 and learned a lot in the process.

How the other belt??

Thank you Goodyear! I pulled the serpentine belt off using a 15 mm rachet on the tensioner, tested all the pullys (all were smooth as butter), then replaced with a gatorback. It took all of 10 minutes.

I always feel that the other belt has as much wear as the one doing the squeaking. With that in mind and the fact that you have to take off the one you just put on, I change both at the same time. In this case if the back one goes out and doesn't take out your new one the only thing you'll lose is the AC. Maybe it won't get hot this summer. :chuckle

I always feel that the other belt has as much wear as the one doing the squeaking. With that in mind and the fact that you have to take off the one you just put on, I change both at the same time. In this case if the back one goes out and doesn't take out your new one the only thing you'll lose is the AC. Maybe it won't get hot this summer. :chuckle

I agree but am too lazy. I never use a/c I just run it once in a while to keep everything lubed.

I need to get some jackstands and ramps so I can get at that stuff. Plus the Mustang needs some new brakepads so they will come in handy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom