Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stalling Problem Please Help

fille9

Corvette
1988 35th Anniversary Edition
Still my 88 is stalling. I changed the fuel filter it didn't help. Today I took a ride about 6 miles round and it stalled 5 times. It just shuts off. After waiting obout 5 to 10 min it re starts and runs fine for about 1 mile or so and again it just shuts down. It's like the gas is cut off but I really do not have a clue. Where is my fuel pump? It's at the point where I am afraid to take the car out of the garage. The last thing I need is a trip to the dealer..

fille9, Any error codes? How is your idle speed? What is the fuel pressue when it stalls out? Will it restart after it stalls out, or are you forced to wait 5-10 minutes?

Yes I have to wait 5 to 10 min before it will restart. Then it runs fine and about a mile or so down the road it just shuts off again. 5 times yesterday. Idle speed seems fine. I cannot tell you about error codes, but the check engine light is not on. I don't know the fuel pressure..

Another possibility is the ignition module over-heating. I once had the same condition with the 86 I owned. I wait time was to allow the module to cool down to begin functioning again.

Engine would then start and run fine only to quit again after only a few minutes. I had the module tested at AutoZone and it failed one out of about 5 times it was tested; problem was intermittent.

A new, lifetime warranty module solve the problem. If you opt to change modules, be sure to use new heat-sink goop on both the underside of the new module and the mounting spot on the distributor.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Surrendered To The Dealer Stalling Problem

My Back was to the wall. The local mechanics just don't have it when it comes to Vettes. The dealer found the grounding wire for the fuel sending unit was corroded and was heating up causing the fuel pump to shut down. A full tune up and emissions cleaning and $2,000 later the car is running great.. What a problem they had getting a new sending unit. Over 400 bucks. I searched myself on the internet and found two for the same price range. All the parts for our 88's are not that easy to find..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom