Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stalls when driving, Dog food in the mufflers

B

bdisanto

Hi guys,
Help me big time last month, hope you can do it again!!
I had a no start problem, fixed it with a post about the starter relay, and clutch safety switch, jump the switch together, ( they are a b---h to get to), replaces the relay, starts up fine every time. My problem now is the car seems to have a miss and stalls while driving a cruising speed, starts right up while coasting. I have replaced or checked rotor, cap,plugs,wires, timing. Also have new fuel filter, starter, alternator and battery, new MAF relays. Any idea's ??

Oh yea, I forgot, replaced the rear Y pipe and both mufflers. You might not believe this, but when putting back my exhaust after checking the Cats and replacing the starter, I heard alot of "stuff" in my mufflers, starting shaking it and out comes burnt dog food. Cut it open and it was packed with food. ( Damn mice) My wife verified this when she match the food, shaped like small bones and the pellets with the food we feed our chow. Took the car out after replacing the mufflers, and it has an unbelievable increase in power, now if I can only get it to stop stalling.

1987 convertible, 42,000 miles no major mods.

Thanks

Ben

Some funny stuff

Check previous post's on IAC motors & Cleaning

Vig!

Try putting peanut butter in the fan shroud

And if there still there when you fire up... VENGANCE IS YOURS!

And if not... your interior will smell like a Southwest flight.....

( Sorry couldn't resist )

I'm having a Mouse problem myself

3 weeks ago the CAT brought in a trophy...

That got loose in the kitchen..

It chewed through the Hot water feed on the dishwasher.

It chewed through the dishwasher drain line.

It chewed through the Icemaker feed line

It chewed through the chilled water in door ( post pump ) feed line.

A week ago sunday after work I came home to a patrially flooded kitchen...

I fixed the dishwasher ( and made armor jacketed lines with the stuff you put over auto hoses to make em look like aircraft fittings)... the first GOOD use of that stuff to date!

I fixed the 5 lines the mouse chewed in the fridge

Vacummed up the MOUNDS of mouse droppings.. ( Lot's of Lysol & Mr Clean)

As I finished up the repairs on the fridge.. I hear a scurrying noise... he was STILL in the base of the fridge ( FWD section).. and had beat feet into the open pot & pan storage area and had got away........... again!

Today the range wouldn't light.. No spark!!!!

He chewed through the ignitor cable!!!!!!

SO not I have 3 boxes of Mouse proof
(Poison) where the pets cant get at em!

And LOTS of the Flypaper style traps with LOTS of CHUNKY peanut butter
( recomendation of the local exterminator.. who wouldn't take my job)
It's only 1 MOUSE!!!!!!!

And I'm waiting........

And the best part.. since the cat who started this... cant get to where the mouse hides... he SPRAYS where he smells the mouse!!!!!

Mmmmmmm the aroma 1st thing in the morning!

Vig!

maybe its a sign of something getting ready to go out

a fuel pump
or a ICM

ICm's can go out several ways, and it can go bad with out u even knowing it,, only way you could tell if u drove it past 90 mph or so

does it idle rought
and what does it idle at , and do u have a auto or manual,, maybe u have a vacume leak or a egr problem

Oh Yes.. YOUR PROBLEM ( Ign)

I would check the following.

1) Remove the CAP, check the seating of the connectors that go in & out of the Distributor.. give em a little tweak to they have a better bite ( for the spade style ones.

2) CLOSELY inspect the wires for the coil...... take em apart and CLEAN the ground connection points...

3) Inspect the pick up coil mount & the internal connections on the Ignition module ( in base of distrib ) put it ALL back together.

4) Check your grounds ( See previous posting... getting grounded)

Vig!

it really doens't sound like a spark problem

cause,, of the way the ecm responds to it
almost like the engine smuthers its self and dies

id check egr valve that can make your car do that if it has holes in it or if the spring is fualty in it
or egr staying shut,,, but i don't think a egr staying shut would shut your engine off,,

Mouse in my LAWNMOWER

I know its off subject but had to share. A mose got into my TORO and left some birdseed to nible on later. Well when we started it up in the spring the muffler became a
HOT AIR POPCORN MAKER. I never laughed so hard in my life.
Oh well.

I had a mouse in my old house a few years ago. It was running around upstairs and my kids were chasing it with a baseball bat. Well the only thing they hit was the wall, smashing a hole in the sheetrock. I evenually found the mouse hiding under a bed. One shot to the head with a bb gun took care of the problem. Kinda felt bad for him but he had to go.

Don't mean to laugh at your story Ben but that is pretty funny. :L
I've never heard of dog food in the mufflers.......maybe try canned food :D :L

Jay

That's Ok JT, if nothing else I am here for entertainment purposes!

How do you guys get the faces on your posts?

Ben

bdisanto said:
How do you guys get the faces on your posts?

How do I place a picture in my Signature?

Here are the steps to use to post a picture. If you need help, we can help you.

1...The picture must be on a website of your choice (PhotoPoint) is a popular hosting site.
2...Please size it in pixels.. not to exceed 200 x 200 pixels and/or 10KB in size.
3...Gather ALL your patients, very SELDOM works the 1st time. Use the "Test Forum" to practice posting your picture as outlined below:

Here is a demo with spaces between charactors so the picture won't show.

[img ]http:// http://www. corvetteaction. com/ images/cac2. jpg [ /img]

The [ img] tells everybody in the computer "Hey we're doing an image of some kind" the http through .com tells the computer where the website is to go look for the picture; /images is where at that website the picute is; /cac2.jpg is the actual picture we are using and the final [ /img] tell the computer to get this picture and post it where THE Master types this at... See how simple this is.

How do I get a picture under my username? [edit your options]

These small images are called Avatars. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. There are two kinds of avatars: those provided by the administrator and those that you upload yourself.

If the administrator has provided a set of avatars, and avatars are enabled, you may select an avatar that best describes your personality.

The administrator may also have enabled custom avatars, which allows you to upload an avatar image from your computer.

For more info, see FAQs

Check your air breather, I had a mouse problem in my garage. The wifes Caddy was running poorly and stalling. I thought I'd take it for a ride, took it out and jumped on it, the gas pedal stuck to the floor, we live out a ways so light traffic was a blessing.
The air box was packed soild and the intake manifold was also full of dog food, which jammed in the throttle linkage. Lesson learned keep the lid on the dog food and only give them what they eat in a day.
After that I got one of those electronic pest repellent things plugged into a wall socket in the garage, haven't seen a mouse (or a skunk) in there for over a year now!

vigman said:
And if there still there when you fire up... VENGANCE IS YOURS!

And if not... your interior will smell like a Southwest flight.....

( Sorry couldn't resist )

I'm having a Mouse problem myself

3 weeks ago the CAT brought in a trophy...

That got loose in the kitchen..

It chewed through the Hot water feed on the dishwasher.

It chewed through the dishwasher drain line.

It chewed through the Icemaker feed line

It chewed through the chilled water in door ( post pump ) feed line.

A week ago sunday after work I came home to a patrially flooded kitchen...

I fixed the dishwasher ( and made armor jacketed lines with the stuff you put over auto hoses to make em look like aircraft fittings)... the first GOOD use of that stuff to date!

I fixed the 5 lines the mouse chewed in the fridge

Vacummed up the MOUNDS of mouse droppings.. ( Lot's of Lysol & Mr Clean)

As I finished up the repairs on the fridge.. I hear a scurrying noise... he was STILL in the base of the fridge ( FWD section).. and had beat feet into the open pot & pan storage area and had got away........... again!

Today the range wouldn't light.. No spark!!!!

He chewed through the ignitor cable!!!!!!

SO not I have 3 boxes of Mouse proof
(Poison) where the pets cant get at em!

And LOTS of the Flypaper style traps with LOTS of CHUNKY peanut butter
( recomendation of the local exterminator.. who wouldn't take my job)
It's only 1 MOUSE!!!!!!!

And I'm waiting........

And the best part.. since the cat who started this... cant get to where the mouse hides... he SPRAYS where he smells the mouse!!!!!

Mmmmmmm the aroma 1st thing in the morning!

Vig!

Vig i know you were p1ssed but you need to fire that Cat! sorry man this was pretty funny :L

Check this

If you have a malfuncting oil preassure or oil level switch problem it will shut down the engine. If the switch thinks the oil is low it doesn't matter if it is full it will shut down the engine. If it sees low oil preassure it will shut down the engine these are fail safe devices to protect the engine from damage. :bang Hope this will shed some differant light on your problem. :Twist

Another thought is with the age of the car and it's low milage it probably has water in the gas from condensation in the tank during storage. Also gas goes bad over time and if you have not emptied the tank by driving recently than I would put 2 or 3 cans of dry gas in it fill it up and add some octane booster then drive the tank out. refill with fresh gas and see if it does'nt run better. This is the first thing I would do because it is cheap in comparison to any thing else you could do at this point. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom