Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter Problems???

Ryan536

Corvette
1973 Black Stingray
A few years ago I posted about gas boiling out of the carb but I know that isn't the problem. Since then after fixing alot of bugs in the motor she is now the monster she should be.
Here is what I encounter now. When the motor is cold it fires right up no problems. After the motor is hot and I shut it off and try to start it up it cranks and cranks and cranks like it has no gas. It will eventually start up after lots of cranking.
I believe it's the starter (heatsoak) because of the headers and it looks like the original starter. The motor has the usual "hotrodder" upgrades.
Eckler's lists a Gear Reduction Starter and a High Torque Starter.
Which one is better? Has anyone used either one?

If it cranks strongly if hot, it's not a starter problem, its most likely a fuel issue. Try a phenolic spacer under the carb and another option is to bypass the mechanical pump and use an electric one for fuel supply as it will fill the carb bowls as soon as you turn on the ignition , if you use the mechanical pump you gonna be cranking...
The high torque/reduction gear motors work well. They normally a lot smaller so have the added advantage of weight reduction.
Hot cranking problems (weak crank) are also solved easily with an external solenoid a la ford.

It's not the starter if it cranks. You need to find out if it won't start because there's not enough fuel, or too much fuel. Look doen the carb while somebody else cranks it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom