Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starter problems

Thanks John....I can't help but thinking my problem is in the wiring to the starter. When the 73 is hot, the car turns over fine but when you LET OFF on the key, it wants to catch and start. The starter, coil, plugs, wires are new. I even got rid of the points and condenser and put in an after market ignition in the distributor and had the carb rebuilt and had a spacer put on between the intake and carb to keep some of the heat away from it. I just bought a starter blanket (haven't put it on yet)to keep some of the heat away from it also....Any ideas on what to do next...........Thaks John...you seem to know what your talking about. Barry McIntyre

When the 73 is hot, the car turns over fine but when you LET OFF on the key, it wants to catch and start.

If it cranks fine when hot, you don't have a starter motor or solenoid problem. If it catches and runs only when you release the key to the run position, you have an ignition or ignition wiring problem. Sort that out first.

Are you sure it's not actually a lack of fuel when hot- that's a common problem.

You shouldn't need a bunch of band-aid aftermarket stuff to make it run as well as a new car.

it clicks but doesnt start , i have new battery and new cables installed :) if you open the battery compartment you can hear it making contact'

If you can "hear it making contact" in the battery compartment then there's an issue there. You shouldn't hear anything at that end and you should take care of this before moving on.

Most likely cause would be either a loose or corroded battery connection. I would suggest you take both cables off the battery, clean both contact surfaces with steel wool and tighten them up good.

Also check the ground connection to the frame under the battery box (I know this is where the 69 is - I am guessing yours is the same) - it too is exposed to the elements and can get rusted/corroded.

Finally, make sure you have a ground strap between your motor and the frame and it too, should have clean and well secured connections.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom