Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter reinstallation issues

naz235

Corvette
1975 Dark Red L82
I had some issues with charging and starting, so being an overeager idiot, i took the battery, starter, and alternator to get tested all at once.

Alternator was shot, and had worn out my brand new battery, so 2 for 3. Starter was fine, but upon reinstalling the starter as I could remember how it went in, I found something to be amiss.

When I try to start it, i hear the starter spinning, but not actually catching the flywheel and turning the engine. I went and bought a remanufactured starter from Advance, and got the same problem.

The alternator is good, the battery is fresh, what could be causing two separate starters to not work properly? Did I reconnect the wires improperly
How its currently installed #1
WP_20150905_18_39_38_Pro[1].jpg
Different Angle
WP_20150905_18_40_18_Pro[1].jpg
How the old one looked after I tried to reinstall
WP_20150905_07_48_08_Pro[1].jpg

I'd recheck the wires. Way back in the 60s, I hooked up a starter wrong so it spun the wrong way, not sure if its applicable in your case or with newer vehicles; just a thought.

The alternator is good, the battery is fresh, what could be causing two separate starters to not work properly?
You have High Resistance GROUND or B+ connection.:thumb

I had some issues with charging and starting, so being an overeager idiot, i took the battery, starter, and alternator to get tested all at once.

Alternator was shot, and had worn out my brand new battery, so 2 for 3. Starter was fine, but upon reinstalling the starter as I could remember how it went in, I found something to be amiss.

When I try to start it, i hear the starter spinning, but not actually catching the flywheel and turning the engine. I went and bought a remanufactured starter from Advance, and got the same problem.

The alternator is good, the battery is fresh, what could be causing two separate starters to not work properly? Did I reconnect the wires improperly
How its currently installed #1
View attachment 22001
Different Angle
View attachment 22002
How the old one looked after I tried to reinstall
View attachment 22003

It sounds like the solenoid is sending voltage to the starter armature but is not pulling in the starter drive plunger. Did you install the solenoid, or was it already installed? If you installed it, did you also install the spring?

I'd recheck the wires. Way back in the 60s, I hooked up a starter wrong so it spun the wrong way, not sure if its applicable in your case or with newer vehicles; just a thought.

I'm a dope, I fixed it though. Turns out it had the battery jumper and the ground in the opposite order that they came off. Switched them and it turned over like a dream.

I probably didn't strictly need to replace the starter, but the new one kicks it over a whole hell of a lot better than the old one so I guess the old one was getting tired anyway.

I think they call that preventative maintainence.

In unrelated news, Prestone stop leak PS fluid works wonders on old 70s power steering systems.

I'm a dope, I fixed it though. Turns out it had the battery jumper and the ground in the opposite order that they came off. Switched them and it turned over like a dream.

I probably didn't strictly need to replace the starter, but the new one kicks it over a whole hell of a lot better than the old one so I guess the old one was getting tired anyway.

I think they call that preventative maintainence.

In unrelated news, Prestone stop leak PS fluid works wonders on old 70s power steering systems.

I am curious, did you say that the vehicle battery cables AND jumper battery were hooked up backwards? If so that would have created a lot of sparks and burned wires. Hopefully I read it wrong. :)

I am curious, did you say that the vehicle battery cables AND jumper battery were hooked up backwards? If so that would have created a lot of sparks and burned wires. Hopefully I read it wrong. :)
no the battery cables connected to the battery itself were fine

I had the ground cable from the starter solenoid on top of the positive battery jumpers instead of below it on the post sticking out of the solenoid.

No wires to my knowledge were fried in this particular attempt at fixing it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom