Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter Replacement

ajlsro

Can someone please tell me where to find the starter on my 92 lt1? Also, I think I have a good idea on where it is, just want to confirm, how do I go about replacing the starter? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I've got the car on jackstand already and was under it this weekend. Before I start disassebling, I need to make sure I know what Im taking apart. Thanks again!

It's on the side of the engine block with one end going into the bellhousing of the transmission. The are several wires attached to the other end of the starter, one of which is a large diameter red wire from the battery. There should be two 9/16" bolts holding it on to the engine block from the bottom.

Thanks for the reply....What is required, besides the obvious - battery disconnect, to go ahead and remove the starter?

That's pretty much it.
Disconnect battery terminals.
Remove inspection cover on the transmission to see the flywheel.
Remove wiring from the starter.
Unbolt starter heat shield.
Remove bolts securing the starter to block.
Reverse for re-assembly.

I agree, pretty straight forward job. Just did mine last month although getting it back on was a PITA. Couldn't get the darn teeth to match the flywheel.:eyerole Just my .02

92 conv.

Thanks for the info...a couple last questions before I start the task....

Is there anything I need toolwise to remove the inspection cover on the tranny? Any particular tips when it comes down to matching the teeth on the starter to the flywheel? I really appreciate your time and info...learning my 92 vette from the bottom up, inside to out! Gracias

ajlsro said:
Thanks for the info...a couple last questions before I start the task....

Is there anything I need toolwise to remove the inspection cover on the tranny? Any particular tips when it comes down to matching the teeth on the starter to the flywheel? I really appreciate your time and info...learning my 92 vette from the bottom up, inside to out! Gracias

Just make sure the starters look the same side by side before you start the install. The bolt heads on the inspection cover should be 10 MM.

I seem to recall a thread where there was problems with the number of teeth on the starters. Make sure you get the right one and good luck.

Just check your local auto parts stores. Some electrical shops can even rebuild starters for something like $110 or so.

I personally found it a PITA to get the starter out after I unbolted it. I slid it down more towards the front after I unbolted it. Seemed like there was more space up there to drop it down because of the two fluid lines there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom