Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! starter stuck?

billroth

Corvette
2-88 bl & blk Conv, 96 Conv, 68 bl Tt, 98 & 03
This is on a 2003 with 30k, automatic. Put in new battery, its good and strong. This happened once before, but after the second turn of the key it started. Now tried to start the car you hear the solnoid click and nothing. No mater how many times I try nothing!;help

Starters rarely "stick" or jam.

There are a number of things which could have happened.

Battery cable problem.
Connection problem.
Fuse problem.
Solenoid problem.
Starter failure

If it were me, I'd get the factory service manual and use engine electrical and engine controls diagnostic information to troubleshoot the problem. You may find that is more economical than just starting to replace parts.

On the other hand, if trial and error is the way you're going to go, understand that you're simply ignoring a host of potential electronic problems which could cause a no-start condition but have nothing do directly with the battery, cables or starter.

That said, I'd inspect all battery cables and connections from the battery down to the starter and from the battery to ground. I'd inspect all the engine controls grounds. If things look good there but you still only get a "click" from the starter, you can try replacing the starter.

Starter replacement

I had the same thing happen on my 1999. The selnoid was bad. I replaced it (the whole starter) with a new bosch unit, $107. I did the work myself. It's not too bad, but you have to drop the front exhaust.

I had the same thing happen on my 1999. The selnoid was bad. I replaced it (the whole starter) with a new bosch unit, $107. I did the work myself. It's not too bad, but you have to drop the front exhaust.

Thank you for the quick comeback. I used to restore antique cars that were stored over the winter in MN that had the same problem. I used to take a long wood dowel, put it against the starter and hit it with a mallet. WELL, the starter turned over and off I went. Quick fix, but could be a long term problem. I will wait and see before I put in the starter. Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom