Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starting help

Raul_C4

Corvette
Cherry Red 1986 coupe
I just had my motor replaced and when I try to start it nothing happens . I'll have the key all the way turned and it's like the battery isn't even there. The volt meter says I have almost 13 volts on the positive side of the ignition coil , but the motor will not even turn. Any help ?

I just had my motor replaced and when I try to start it nothing happens . I'll have the key all the way turned and it's like the battery isn't even there. The volt meter says I have almost 13 volts on the positive side of the ignition coil , but the motor will not even turn. Any help ?

are you saying that the radio, dash, and most functions are there but no crack(starter wont move) I personally would look at all power connections starter Leeds, including the crank request wire on the starter and grounds. You would be surprised how little it takes at a main power supply to not have a crank.

If you don't see any loose wires check Neutral safety switch if auto Clutch switch if manual. Also see if you are even getting the Crank request down by the starter.

since you have what I believe to be a 86 you may be having a VATS problem wipe the key chip let the car sit untouched for about 10 min. try again

Last edited:
Yeah the Dash lights up and and headlights spin and everything
Only thing is brake and anti lock lights are on when I turn the key all the way. I don't know if that can prevent the car from turning over. I took the starter off and went to have it tested since I bought it over 2 years ago but the gear shot out just fine . So I'm assuming the wires on the starter aren't hooked up correctly ?

How would I go about wiping the chip on vats system ? Is the chip in the key right ?

Yeah the Dash lights up and and headlights spin and everything
Only thing is brake and anti lock lights are on when I turn the key all the way. I don't know if that can prevent the car from turning over. I took the starter off and went to have it tested since I bought it over 2 years ago but the gear shot out just fine . So I'm assuming the wires on the starter aren't hooked up correctly ?

How would I go about wiping the chip on vats system ? Is the chip in the key right ?

I should have said clean off wipe on a clean T-shirt, if the chip has something on it not allowing it to read right it will say invalid code and not allow the car to start.

Last edited:
Makes sense makes sense

Is it possible to only have one hot wire and one ground sharing the same stud on the starter solenoid ?

Makes sense makes sense

Is it possible to only have one hot wire and one ground sharing the same stud on the starter solenoid ?

Shooting from memory of something I have not worked on for 20 years, you should have a about a 10 gauge with a small Eyelet (crank request) goes to a small stud. A main battery cable with aligning tab that goes to starter stud with I cant remember if 1 or 2 smaller gauge wires bolted on top of the main cable

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom